Jandy ProSeries Tru Clear SWG

Ron55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2013
SW Florida
I purchased a home last year and the 14,000 gal pool has a Jandy Pro Series Tru Clear SWG. Until last week it was operating well, pool has been crystal clear. We have the pool maintained once a week and have had no issues.

Last week I noticed a lot of calcium build up on the cell and the message Low Temp/Low Salt was flashing. The temperature wasn't particularly colder then it had been. The pool service added salt, cleaned the cell and now the screen says Check Cell and there is an audible clicking noise when the message flashes.

The pool service guy says he feels it is "most likely" the cell but it is possible the control unit is bad as well. The cost to replace the cell would be $450 and to replace both $1200.

He said if he replaced just the cell and then it turned out to be the control unit it would wind up costing more to purchase the items separately.

He also floated the idea of replacing with Jandy with a Pentair system as he feels they may have more longevity. I inquired about Hawyard and he said it is a more expensive option.

The system is about 4 years old.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hey Ron !!! With a much longer season in FL, 4 years is fair for most cells. Barring a defect or a power surge taking it out, the controllers generally last for 2-3 cells.

Janey SWGs production seems to be overstated according to members here. That leads to longer run times and therefore shorter lifespans. You also can only buy parts from an authorized dealer and often need them to do the work for the warranty. With Pentair or Hayward, you could have shopped around for a better deal online and done the 15 minute swap yourself.

Circupool makes a great SWG also if you're going to change systems.

Whatever you go with, you want one that's 2X your pool volume. They will produce the same FC in less daily run time, making for a longer life.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Does your signature match the pool we are discussing?

Do you have an Aqualink automation system?

The Jandy Turckear SWG is Jandys lower end SWG. The Jandy Aquapure is a higher quality product IMHO.

Does your signature match the pool we are discussing?

Do you have an Aqualink automation system?

The Jandy Turckear SWG is Jandys lower end SWG. The Jandy Aquapure is a higher quality product IMHO.
I had forgotten to change my signature since I moved. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I don't have an Aqualink system. I'm not surprised it is a lower end system. I believe it was updated right before the 1st owner of the house sold it. The person we purchased it from only lived here a few years and then moved and we have only owned the home since July 2021.
On my last pool, all the control were manual and I was using chlorine not a SWG system to generate chlorine so this is all new to me.
The actually control unit for the SWG is a simple display with 4 arrows and a few buttons below the screen..

Hey Ron !!! With a much longer season in FL, 4 years is fair for most cells. Barring a defect or a power surge taking it out, the controllers generally last for 2-3 cells.

Janey SWGs production seems to be overstated according to members here. That leads to longer run times and therefore shorter lifespans. You also can only buy parts from an authorized dealer and often need them to do the work for the warranty. With Pentair or Hayward, you could have shopped around for a better deal online and done the 15 minute swap yourself.

Circupool makes a great SWG also if you're going to change systems.

Whatever you go with, you want one that's 2X your pool volume. They will produce the same FC in less daily run time, making for a longer life.
So it's a fair bet that the controller still has some life in it? TBH I'd like one with a bigger display and dedicated controls rather than just using the up/down left right arrows on the current system.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Reactions: newdude
Call Jandy. 50/50- chance they will send you a new cell for free. These are known to fail prematurely. Calcium buildup is a sign your water is not balanced, however. Check out pool school!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.