thellma2

Feb 21, 2024
Northwest Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Have a 17k above ground pool with sand filter.

Opened my pool Wednesday night. Was clear but had algae and debris on the bottom. Vacuumed it all to waste. Refilled and tested (using Taylor K-2006) my CYA and pH only due to needing to SLAM it.

pH was 7.2
CYA was 100 (I know I need to lower it and working on it. Moved in last year and was first time maintaining pool and used pucks for convenience with having a young child.. Unsure if previous owners used or not. I did empty and refill and got it to around 90 now.)

Used pool math and follow SLAM levels per CYA of 100. Currently about almost 24 hours into it.

Have vacuumed and brushed the pool twice yesterday. Brushed it again this morning.

Last night before went to bed was clear after vacuuming. First picture is this morning with this brown mustard looking. Will brush away and be clear and then will come back in a little while.

Should I increase SLAM levels to mustard algae shock levels?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5138.jpg
    IMG_5138.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5139.jpg
    IMG_5139.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 16
Have a 17k above ground pool with sand filter.

Opened my pool Wednesday night. Was clear but had algae and debris on the bottom. Vacuumed it all to waste. Refilled and tested (using Taylor K-2006) my CYA and pH only due to needing to SLAM it.

pH was 7.2
CYA was 100 (I know I need to lower it and working on it. Moved in last year and was first time maintaining pool and used pucks for convenience with having a young child.. Unsure if previous owners used or not. I did empty and refill and got it to around 90 now.)

Used pool math and follow SLAM levels per CYA of 100. Currently about almost 24 hours into it.

Have vacuumed and brushed the pool twice yesterday. Brushed it again this morning.

Last night before went to bed was clear after vacuuming. First picture is this morning with this brown mustard looking. Will brush away and be clear and then will come back in a little while.

Should I increase SLAM levels to mustard algae shock levels?

Thanks in advance!
Probably not. Any algae in the pool takes several days to clear up with the SLAM process. Just keep the slam going until you don’t see any more algae at all.

Nope, that’s regular algae. SLAM, and brush that stuff up as often as you can so your filter can grab it.