Is this Black Algae

azmom10

Aug 10, 2023
Arizona
My Pool man said this is not black algae, but discoloration that occurs in old pebble tech finishes. Another pool man urges that is it black algae and can ruin my finish. My pool man is treating it in case it is black algae but it doesn’t seem to be getting better! What the heck do I do please?71332789241__CC50E7F5-6854-4E4F-9186-CE36A2774437.jpeg

Hello all! We bought our home 3 years ago, pool could be as old as 2004… the finish is darkening and there are green and brown stains lately. I pay for monthly pool care and am concerned these issues are getting worse and not better. Just need some advice please!

Those stains could be algae or copper or iron.

Try the tests described in Stains in Your Pool and let us know what you figure out.

Post pics of your pool showing the stain areas.

Take your pool water into a Pool Store and have them test it for metals. Don't buy any of their fixes until you discuss it with us.

AZ is a big state. Where in AZ are you?

What chemicals have you used in your pool over the last 3 years?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.