Iron in water from equipment?

SummerFun90

Apr 16, 2024
SC USA
Hi, just starting to get my pool going for the hot weather, and I shocked it, revealing an insane amount of iron in the water that turned the fiberglass surface brown.

I didn't just fill the pool, so the source has to be coming from in the pool/equipment. There's a rusted skimmer faceplate screw. Would that be enough rust to cause the iron in the water/staining? What else could be rusting that I don't see?

Thanks!

Reactions: PoolTime2022
Welcome to TFP.

Hard to say without knowing or seeing all the pool equipment and the surrounding pool.

What is an “insane amount of iron in the water”?

and didn't know if a rusty screw head would be the cause.
One screw may leave a streak of rust, but won't blanket your pool.

Some products like chlorox salt have been known to be laden with iron, or it's your fill water or previous fill water if, say, you used a tanker truck and not the hose originally.

Please fill out your signature in your profile settings. Include all the pool details and equipment model #s. The details are huge when you ask questions, such as now, when you wouldn't have added tainted salt without a SWG. Or may have because we clearly see you have a SWG.

And Welcome to TFP !!!

Already have the items ordered to try that 👍🏻 I just need to find the source of the iron so its not an ongoing problem. I didn't know how little or much rust it takes to cause this problem and didn't know if a rusty screw head would be the cause.
There should never be anything in the pool that could rust. The screw that holds the light should be either stainless-steel or copper, that's what comes from the factory.