How often do you have to brush the pool walls?

GonnaTryTFP

Jul 7, 2019
Diamond Bar, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys, if you take good care of your pool. Meaning the filter is optimal, the chemicals are balanced.... then should you see yellow build-up if you miss brushing for just one day? I know this probably isn't exact science, and most likely everybody is YMMV. If I miss brushing for just one day, I start to see yellow build-up, it's not obvious. But if I look for it, I can see some, and if I brush it away, you can see the yellow dirt move in the water. If I miss brushing consecutive days, then it gets more obvious. Is this normal, do you guys have to brush every day?

Reactions: Damsroy
No 2 pools are the same and all, but I'd guess that twice a week would cover even extreme cases. I try to brush weekly but often go at least double that.

Can we assume you're using Taylor drops to test? Can we assume you're never anywhere near minimum FC ? What's your CYA and normal FC range ?

Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits.
Test Kits Compared

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt (if you have a SWG)
Water temperarure

How are you chlorinating?
Are you keeping FC at the top end of the target range for your CYA?
FC/CYA Levels

Depends on season for me. During pollen season I almost want to brush my waterline 2x a day.

Is it just the pool or do you see yellow dust around the yard too?

I remember the yellow dread from the times before I found TFP. I hope it's not the mustard algea in your case... I never really got rid of it in 100%, until my pool got resurfaced and I started applying the TFP knowledge. But since you've already found this place, you will win the battle with any type of algea :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, if you take good care of your pool. Meaning the filter is optimal, the chemicals are balanced.... then should you see yellow build-up if you miss brushing for just one day? I know this probably isn't exact science, and most likely everybody is YMMV. If I miss brushing for just one day, I start to see yellow build-up, it's not obvious. But if I look for it, I can see some, and if I brush it away, you can see the yellow dirt move in the water. If I miss brushing consecutive days, then it gets more obvious. Is this normal, do you guys have to brush every day?
If you’ve got yellow stuff that brushes away, you’ve got algae, which means your chlorine level is too low. See above for reference levels.

I have a cartridge filter and the pump runs 24/7. Use a robot once a week. I’m a little lazy, or really just have too many other things to do so only really brush the areas the robot can’t get to, maybe once a month. I don’t have anything visible in the pool or on the bottom even when the loblollys go nuts with pollen. Assuming what you’re seeing isn’t algae (it could be but let’s stick with optimism), what type of filter do you have and how much do you run it? For me at least, the skimming action of filtering 24/7 has been a game changer for pool maintenance. Most of the stuff that falls into my pool floats, even tiny grains of pollen, sand or dirt will float on the surface tension for at least for a while, and the skimmers get it to the filter before whatever it is has a chance to sink to the bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.