jamese

Mar 1, 2019
Huntington Beach, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
For some reason my phosphates level (according to test by Leslie's) has been high over the past 9 months. (readings: 5/28/23 - 5 ppb, 7/23/23 - 241 ppb, 10/2/23 - 663 ppb, 1/18/24 - 530 ppb). They sold me Leslie's NoPHOS to use. Before I used it, I decided to have my pool replastered with Pebble Tech plaster. I thought draining the pool for this project would take care of the high phosphates problem. 5 weeks later after the pool was refilled on 3/22/24, I took a water sample back to Leslie's for testing. Results: 4/26/24 - 1676 ppb. WTF!
Can someone tell me what is going on? There is very little plant life, trees, etc. around my pool or in neighbors' yards. No leaves or fertilizer going in the pool water. Cannot understand where the source is coming from. There has been an unusual amount of rain this winter. Leslie's told me that rain can greatly increase phosphates. Is it possible that the pebble tech plaster has created high phosphates readings? Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.
If your suggestion is to treat the water with a phosphates remover, what product do you recommend?

It would likely be helpful to get your own test kits and test your water. I have never tested for phosphates, but the link above provides you with the test kit you need if interested. In order to start caring for your pool and understand what it needs or doesn’t need, TFP recommends doing your own testing.
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: wireform
Has the plaster company filled the pool? Could be that they added a metal sequestrant as part of the pool fill, which are phosphate based. If you are on municipal water, it could even be that you have phosphates in your fill water added by the water supplier to keep metals in solution.

Reactions: Leebo
Leslie's did their job... they gave you fancy yet inaccurate testing to create a false sense of panic and confusion and ultimately sold you a product that you don't need.

Millions of people fall for their phosphate remover scam so don't feel too bad. Just know that Leslie's or any pool store are not the experts and their main goal is to sell you products. A confused and frustrated pool owner spends more $ in their store.

Phosphates in your pool likely came from the metal sequestrant used during the plaster startup.

1676 ppb is NOT high phosphates. That is a measurement of Parts Per BILLION. All other tests you measure PPM. It is less than 1 ppm. But if they told you it was less then 1ppm they could not try and sell you expensive phospate removers.

Reactions: Leebo
Your phosphates are not that high. Nor are they an issue. Realize Leslie's testing is not accurate. And their product to remove phosphates is of low quality.

Thank you Mr. mknauss. I was unaware of this. Their report says ideal range is 0-100 ppb. I'm sure they sell lots of phosphates remover to unknowing customers. I was fortunate and returned the product for a refund before using. I don't trust their advice and the prices are extremely high. I guess the make more money for their neighborhood convenience and preying on unknowing pool owners. Thanks again.

It would likely be helpful to get your own test kits and test your water. I have never tested for phosphates, but the link above provides you with the test kit you need if interested. In order to start caring for your pool and understand what it needs or doesn’t need, TFP recommends doing your own testing.
Test Kits Compared
I do have a Taylor K-2005. I do my own testing, probably more than necessary. Every few months I get a free test from Leslie's to check other things my kit doesn't have. And also, to compare to my own tests. They must make a fortune of phosphates remover. Thanks for the advice and link to test kits. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: kul
Phosphates in your pool likely came from the metal sequestrant used during the plaster startup.

1676 ppb is NOT high phosphates. That is a measurement of Parts Per BILLION. All other tests you measure PPM. It is less than 1 ppm. But if they told you it was less then 1ppm they could not try and sell you expensive phospate removers.
Wow. What a racquet. Thanks for clarifying the reading exaggeration. Very helpful. The plaster startup did include a stain inhibiter to added to fill water. This would certainly explain why my phosphates reading sky rocketed after the fill up. The Leslie's employee should have known this and explained to me. And this employee has been working there for 17 years. Can't trust them at all. Thanks much for your information!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leslie's did their job... they gave you fancy yet inaccurate testing to create a false sense of panic and confusion and ultimately sold you a product that you don't need.

Millions of people fall for their phosphate remover scam so don't feel too bad. Just know that Leslie's or any pool store are not the experts and their main goal is to sell you products. A confused and frustrated pool owner spends more $ in their store.
Very good advice. Fortunately I returned the phosphates remover before opening. I was told that my phosphates level was probably too high because of surrounding plants etc., and fertilizer. Neither of these are a factor in my situation. They also said rain is a big source of phosphates. BS! Thanks for your insight.

Wow. What a racquet.
Mine pushed copper based algaecide and then looked down on me that I had higher copper levels. What did I do, and such with a disappointed look.

They honestly didn't know. They were just blindly following the Bioguard machine readout. With a full turnover of employees every couple of years, actually knowing water chemistry was 5 rounds of employees ago. Now they just follow the printout.

But yeah. They unintentionally gave everyone copper issues, and LOW AND BEHOLD had a whole wall of metals cures to sell.