High Chlorine After Shock

You still at cya of 60 & slam level of 24ppm? That’s alot of drops & easy to mis count. Especially in the wee hours.
I see you have a robot 🤖 have you inspected it for algae?
You can’t see your
PoolMath logs so hard to be sure what’s going on.
If you are keeping them (have a subscription) turn on sharing in the settings.
I’ll look into that sharing of lofts, didn’t realize. I’m thinking I must have made a mistake this morning too, just wanted to see if it could be possible otherwise. My robot seems clean, but if it’s in the pool a lot at these high chlorine levels wouldn’t it take care of any algae that the robot could have been carrying?

I’ll look into that sharing of lofts, didn’t realize. I’m thinking I must have made a mistake this morning too, just wanted to see if it could be possible otherwise. My robot seems clean, but if it’s in the pool a lot at these high chlorine levels wouldn’t it take care of any algae that the robot could have been carrying?
There are places on the bot that can “accumulate” ucky stuff. Pull it out & give it the once over with a little brush in all its nooks & crannies.
Mine likes to hold things in the back of the lid where the hole for the handle is. Yours may have different nooks.

Reactions: kcassidy0772
I think I still need some clarification on getting fine algae dust on bottom of pool to disappear. I believe what I’ve been reading is that there is no need to vacuum to waste. (I have a cartridge filter so when I vacuum to “waste” I just disconnect return hose and connect it to a backwash hose and vacuum out to street). Correct me if wrong, but isn’t the algae dust too fine for the cartridge or even filter basket sock to pick up? So without removing from pool or putting in a FLOC, which I know is a no-no, what should the process be ?

You can vac to waste if you wish to help remove the bulk & keep it out of the filter but it is not an absolute necessity. I forget- does your bot have the ultra fine pleated filter? If so, use that & it will help too.
It will go away - it just takes time. It should be less & less each day. Stay with slam until it’s gone.

You can vac to waste if you wish to help remove the bulk & keep it out of the filter but it is not an absolute necessity. I forget- does your bot have the ultra fine pleated filter? If so, use that & it will help too.
It will go away - it just takes time. It should be less & less each day. Stay with slam until it’s gone.
Funny you should ask. It just came in the mail. One of the mesh screens in the basket that my bot came with ripped so I decided to upgrade to the ultra fine pleated filter. Running through the pool now! Thanks!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Funny you should ask. It just came in the mail. One of the mesh screens in the basket that my bot came with ripped so I decided to upgrade to the ultra fine pleated filter. Running through the pool now! Thanks!
Its like having a little roving cartridge filter! I really like mine. In my opinion the robots should automatically come with both for the coin they charge.

Well after 19 days I think I’m out of the woods. Passed all 3 tests this morning. I will continue SLAM today and perform tests again tomorrow as a precaution. The only thing I haven’t decided yet is whether after that I increase to a 24 hours of MA levels before I dropped down to normal levels, just in case I’ve been dealing with MA. I never have gotten comfortable determining for sure if I had algae at bottom of pool or some dirt/sand. It always “proofed” when I brushed it and when I tried to touch it in spots at bottom of pool it didn’t really feel like anything. The one thing that leads me to believe it’s mostly been dirt is because it would always be spread across the bottom of the pool, not favoring shady areas. Also, I never noticed it on the side walls, only bottom of pool. I may just do a 24 hour MA treatment, it’s just that I’ve spent so much money on chlorine the last
2-plus weeks I’m really looking forward to not dumping gallons of bleach in the pool. LOL.

Reactions: RLP and newdude
Well after 19 days I think I’m out of the woods. Passed all 3 tests this morning. I will continue SLAM today and perform tests again tomorrow as a precaution. The only thing I haven’t decided yet is whether after that I increase to a 24 hours of MA levels before I dropped down to normal levels, just in case I’ve been dealing with MA. I never have gotten comfortable determining for sure if I had algae at bottom of pool or some dirt/sand. It always “proofed” when I brushed it and when I tried to touch it in spots at bottom of pool it didn’t really feel like anything. The one thing that leads me to believe it’s mostly been dirt is because it would always be spread across the bottom of the pool, not favoring shady areas. Also, I never noticed it on the side walls, only bottom of pool. I may just do a 24 hour MA treatment, it’s just that I’ve spent so much money on chlorine the last
2-plus weeks I’m really looking forward to not dumping gallons of bleach in the pool. LOL.
You’re already at slam level so a few more ppm is not that far of a leap- I say go for it for the peace of mind. Be sure to dunk all your stuff while at MA slam level!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven’t cleaned my cartridge filter in about 10 days now. At start of SLAM I was cleaning constantly thinking it was good to do so. Since then I’ve been following the rule of leaving it alone unless pressure tells you otherwise. One question I have about this is that I always THOUGHT that when the filter is due for a cleaning (cartridge for me), the pressure would go “down”, which is the opposite of what I’ve learned here. For example, when I get air in the filter which happens sometimes when I hook up the vacuum, the pressure drops way down, and the return jet is not pumping water into pool nearly as strong. Then after the air is released the pressure gauge jumps back up and the return jet is blasting water back into the pool at expected force. How come the affect of the pressure isn’t the same when the filter is not working properly because it’s overdue for a cleaning?

A dirty filter is more resistance to push the water through........so it takes more pressure to overcome the resistance.

Dead algae "poofs" away. Dirt or sand swirls up but settles right back down. Dirt or sand is gritty when you rub it between your thumb and finger. Dead algae is almost non-existant when you try to rub it between your thumb and finger,

Not sure about your cartridge & its pressure situation but giving it a final clean may help with the cc’s
Also, clean your beaker with alcohol.
Refresh my memory, do you have a cover?
Was this oclt at regular slam level?

Not sure about your cartridge & its pressure situation but giving it a final clean may help with the cc’s
Also, clean your beaker with alcohol.
Refresh my memory, do you have a cover?
Was this oclt at regular slam level?
Yes, the OCLT was at SLAM levels.
No pool cover. I’ve been once a day cleaning the beaker with alcohol just to be safe. The interesting the about my pressure gauge is that it seems to always stay at 15 psi. In prior seasons obviously I wasn’t as focused on it as I am now because I’m trying to learn many new things. But in past I would always focus on how strong the water is coming out of the return jets. When it would start to feel like a decent drop in force then I would decide to clean the cartridge and it would be back to normal. If my gauge was off, would I be right to assume that if the pressure of the water coming out of the return jet was still where it should be, that my filter was still ok and not past due for a cleaning? (In normal situations, I hear you loud and clear about maybe doing a cleaning bc of this CC reading)

When I woke up this morning I decided to raise my levels to MA levels, even though I got a CC of about 1.0 this morning I wanted to see. Anyway, I added the equivalent of 16ppms at 6:30 this morning to bring it up to 38ppm. My wife comes home at 12:30 for lunch so had her dump in another 3 bottles which is another 16ppm ( she has no idea or has the time to rest). Anyway, that’s 32ppm added to the 23.5ppm that I started at this morning for a total of 55.5ppm. I tested when I came home a little while ago and it was 17ppm (0.0 CC). We here in NY had a really hot day, but losing 38ppm in 12 hours? And I tested twice to make sure. I don’t remember seeing others post loses like that. Other days when I’d keep it at 24 I’d still lose about 20ppm per day easily. Is this normal?

For the SLAM to be successful, it has to be followed precisely. You're not doing that......you are doing the aspirin method.
Gee, if two aspirins is helping me, think how good I'll feel if I take 50 aspirins
Follow the precision of the SLAM and your pool will clear.

Reactions: RLP

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.