Help me choose a new heater

snuggler

Dec 6, 2021
Newark, New Jersey
Hi,

I have a 23k gallon inground pool with a SWG. Everything has been going well the past couple of years of pool ownership thanks to this great forum.

But, my pool heater died. I have an electric heater, and my pool guy is recommending that I keep an electric heater (as opposed to gas) based on how we use/heat our pool.

He gave me quotes for the below three heaters. Does it matter which one I get? Any experiences with any of these heaters? I know nothing about pool heaters so I am at a bit of a loss as to which to choose.

Option 1: Rheem 140k BTU
Option 2: Hayward 140k BTU
Option 3: Aqua Comfort 143k BTU

The Rheem is the cheapest quote, and the Hayward most expensive, and the difference in the cheapest and most expensive is just under $900. None of these budgets are a stretch for this project, but I don't want to pay more unless that is accompanied by a benefit (ease of use, lower maintenance, better likelihood of not needing repair, etc.).

Biggest difference between gas and a heat pump is the length of time to heat. Gas is 1-2 degrees per hour while heat pump is much slower. Heat pump you would need to keep the heater on 100% of the time. Gas you can turn on when you need it (within reason). So if you are an occasional/weekend swimmer, gas is the way to go. Not to mention a heat pump will not extend your season. In addition, gas is 1/2 the cost for twice the heating. All that said, I think most brands are comparable in quality. From that list I would go with the Rheem or Hayward. I am not familiar with AquaComfort. Have you considered Raypak?

I had an Aqua Comfort heat pump. It worked quite well. I would disagree that a heat pump doesn't extend a pool season. I could open my pool a month earlier and close it a month later with the heat pump. The pool would stay covered with a solar cover when not in use. My wife swam laps every day at 4:30am and used it 5-6 hours each day on the weekend. Since we needed the pool to be warm every day, the heat pump worked good for our use.

I had an Aqua Comfort heat pump. It worked quite well. I would disagree that a heat pump doesn't extend a pool season. I could open my pool a month earlier and close it a month later with the heat pump. The pool would stay covered with a solar cover when not in use. My wife swam laps every day at 4:30am and used it 5-6 hours each day on the weekend. Since we needed the pool to be warm every day, the heat pump worked good for our use.

He is in Northern NJ. He won't get any season extension with a heat pump that far North. Agree - solar cover is key to using a heat pump. But what a PITA!

Reactions: newdude
Hi,

I have a 23k gallon inground pool with a SWG. Everything has been going well the past couple of years of pool ownership thanks to this great forum.

But, my pool heater died. I have an electric heater, and my pool guy is recommending that I keep an electric heater (as opposed to gas) based on how we use/heat our pool.

He gave me quotes for the below three heaters. Does it matter which one I get? Any experiences with any of these heaters? I know nothing about pool heaters so I am at a bit of a loss as to which to choose.

Option 1: Rheem 140k BTU
Option 2: Hayward 140k BTU
Option 3: Aqua Comfort 143k BTU

The Rheem is the cheapest quote, and the Hayward most expensive, and the difference in the cheapest and most expensive is just under $900. None of these budgets are a stretch for this project, but I don't want to pay more unless that is accompanied by a benefit (ease of use, lower maintenance, better likelihood of not needing repair, etc.).
Rheem (American Standard, Ray Pak) has been in the air conditioning business for decades. They make good stuff.
A heat pump is just a reverse A/C unit. A/C is a heat pump that transfers heat from the house into the atmosphere. A pool heat heat pump transfers heat from the atmosphere to the water.

Last edited:
my pool guy is recommending that I keep an electric heater (as opposed to gas) based on how we use/heat our pool.
How do you use it ?

Were you entirely satisfied ?

With a HP on a 35k pool near you, it was entirely dependant on the weather to extend the season. On normal years it was so-so and on cold years it was a bust. On the warm years it was great.

We've had several warm years in a row and if that was my only experience, I'd think HPs were great. Lol.

During the season it worked great every year to warm the already warm pool, or take the edge off on a cool week that was still pretty warm compared to October.

Gas heaters work longer into the off-season with 3X the BTUs.

Heat pumps are a commodity. There is little difference and they all use similar parts from suppliers.

Check who does warranty and service locally for what you buy. There are companies who sell them but don't service them. People have found they had a heat pump they could not find anyone locally to service it.

All things being equal get the least cost.

How do you use it ?

Were you entirely satisfied ?

With a HP on a 35k pool near you, it was entirely dependant on the weather to extend the season. On normal years it was so-so and on cold years it was a bust. On the warm years it was great.

We've had several warm years in a row and if that was my only experience, I'd think HPs were great. Lol.

During the season it worked great every year to warm the already warm pool, or take the edge off on a cool week that was still pretty warm compared to October.

Gas heaters work longer into the off-season with 3X the BTUs.
I was satisfied with it until it broke. That said, it was included in the purchase of my house, so it seemed like a free perk to me.

I think we are fine with keeping electrical, but admittedly we’ve only had a pool a couple of years. My kids are young now so they can’t handle cold water very well, and I only like to swim when it is warm. My spouse only swims when the kids want to. Having a shorter season also helps reduce our anxiety about having a pool with small kids who can’t swim yet. (And yes, we have a fence and have tried swimming lessons and do other things to keep our kids safe, but they can’t swim yet and until they can, having the pool open will always be a source of worry).

I suppose it is possible extending the season is important to us in a few years if our kids’ habits change, but the adults in the house are fine with being able to heat the water to 85-87 during May-September. Even May and September are low usage months for us because of being busy with our kids’ school stuff.

admittedly we’ve only had a pool a couple of years.
So they were warm years that helped the HP efficiency.
My kids are young now so they can’t handle cold water very well, and I only like to swim when it is warm.
I stopped using my heater because when it was sweatshirt weather, nobody wanted to swim. We preferred ride the bikes we didn't dare to in the 80% humidity. Lol.
until they can, having the pool open will always be a source of worry
GREAT. You have the proper respect for the pool. Even once they can swim, they can knock themselves out and then not be able to swim.
I suppose it is possible extending the season is important to us in a few years if our kids’ habits change,
You'll need another heater when they are tweens. Swap then if habits change. (y)
Even May and September are low usage months for us because of being busy with our kids’ school stuff.
That too. Those months were insane with littles and if we finally had a free Saturday, it poured. :ROFLMAO:

I'm sold and vote for another HP for what it's worth.