Hayward SP32900VSP 115 vs 230?

JohnnyG66

Jul 7, 2023
Ontario, Canada
The SP32900VSP TriStar VS pump can be wired, per the label, for 240/230/115V, with corresponding Amp draw of 7.0/7.4/7.2, so very little amp difference between 120 and 240V. I have 12-3 going into the pool shed with each hot on separate breakers and opposing "phases" (not the right term, but...). This wiring was pre-existing. I currently have wired the pump as the only load on one of the 120V legs and I'm using the other leg for pool heater, chlorine generator, and other minor draws within the shed.

What I'm trying to understand is the performance hit of the pump between 240 and 120V? I assume there is some, but I can't find any data from Hayward on this!

This is all new and nothing has been powered up yet. I was considering re-wiring the pump for 240V, but that was under the assumption that it would reduce current draw, still leaving enough for all the other equipment, but this is not the case! If there's an unacceptable performance hit, I will rewire and run another 120V circuit.

Attachments

• tristar_vs_900_bilingual_DLITTSVS90020C_ad56.pdf
    572.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks! But this just illustrates my point - there is only one set of data, making it look like it performs identically regardless of voltage. Not impossible I guess, but perhaps uncommon. Other pumps I've seen double their current draw when on 120V vs 240V. Does this pump really perform the same on 120V as 240V with nearly the same current draw?

Oh gosh! Thanks for that...it's buried in there and I totally missed the "3450 115V" label! So if I'm reading this correctly now, at 3300 RPM and below there is NO performance difference? That's amazing! So never use 3450 RPM and I wouldn't know any difference between 120 and 240V.

For the same flow rate on the same system with the same pressure, the pump will use twice as much amperage at 115 volts as at 230 volts.
So if it's drawing 7.2A at 120, it would be drawing only half that at 240, yes? Means I could re-wire for 240V but then shouldn't use the 3450 RPM anyway since it could draw up to 7A which, along with the other draws, puts me too close to 80% of the 15A circuit. I guess I'll have a better idea when I fire it up and see what flow rate I'm getting on the FlowVis.

The manual says use a 15 amp circuit, so it should limit the current to 12 amps maximum.

At full power and 230 volts, the current will be about 7 amps.

At 115 volts, the current would hit 14 amps if the controller did not limit the speed and current.

Connect pump to a 15 amp branch circuit in accordance with local codes, regulations, and the National Electric Code (NEC).

You are over thinking it.
Just wire it for 240 and be done with it.
Run it at whatever RPM needed to do the job you want it to do.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Overthinking is my super-power :D

It's a 36x18 pool but only max of 46" water depth throughout so I only need about 11 GPM to turn the volume over every day (15300 gallon per spec). I have one skimmer, 3 returns, plus 2 massage jets on the stairs, and 3 12" sheers. Not sure I'll get the sheers running this year so will give me time to validate whether 120V will do it or not. In the next few years we're planning on replacing the shed with a pool house, and will definitely migrate to 240V at that time - but hopefully not sooner! I did a lovely wiring job (IMHO) and I'd hate to have to redo it!