chew12

Mar 29, 2013
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All,

I need to replace my style 2 OEM pop up heads and I was looking for reviews/thoughts on the new Gamma Venturi pop up heads (by A&A). Considering the design of these, they seem like they could clog and potentially cause a lot more maintenance then what they are worth. I was also wondering since they are a Venuri style, if the power of the outgoing stream is less than the non-venturi style ones (but they would have more water moving). I was curious if anyone has installed these and have real world experience with them. I am having a difficult finding real world uses.

Thanks.

Looks like you are having a difficult time finding information about the Gamma Venturi pop up heads (by A&A) also.

Keep us updated about what you do learn.

The claim is that they allow for lower flow rates for the same effective cleaning as the original heads.

The claim is reasonable given the design. However, one thing they do not mention which I think is important is that venturis usually have quite high head loss so while you can reduce the flow rate, the head loss increase eliminates some of the benefit although they may still have a net benefit.

As for clogging, that should not be an issue since they are downstream from the filter. The only problem would be when cleaning the filter should debris get past the filter. But if you have standard returns, those could be run for a while after cleaning the filter to eliminate the problem.

What type of filter do you have?

Do you have standard returns in addition to the in-floors?

Thanks for the replies, I am surprised by the lack of re-world use information, other then the perfect situations that A&A shows. I have a cartridge filter and I do have standard returns. The venturi style concerns me because in addition to the filtered water (from the filter) they pull in unfiltered water from the pool, (whatever is above the head). If anything ever gets sucked in (though maybe this never happens?) from the unfiltered side and is not able to get past the nozzle, they would need to be cleaned (adding additional pool work).

The holes in the top of the fitting are much smaller than the venturi hole. But in reality, the water that transits the top holes flows around the sides of the venturi nozzle. It doesn't actually go through the nozzle. Only the water from the pump/filter goes through the nozzle. But if top holes would get clogged, you should be able to sweep away the debris.

Last edited:
My concerns would be sticks/pine needle type of items.
Those would likely just stay in the holes because the nozzle is not that deep underneath the holes. Debris needs to make a quick 90 to get out around the sides of the nozzle.

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to go with the non-venturi style gamma heads. I can't find enough info on the Venturi style to make them better than the non-venturi.

Reactions: mas985