Flocculant and filter balls

aqua13jnb

Apr 2, 2024
Houston tx
Hello,
Recently had someone take hth green to blue pool kit, dump all packages into a 5gal bucket filled it with water. Then dumped this mixture into the skimmer basket. I didn't realize until after about 24 hours with filter running.
Pool is still solid green. 28,000 gal inground. With rock waterfall and attached hot tub.
(Sidenote: I am a live-in care giver for an older gentleman who was recently partially paralyzed. This is his pool, I'm learning about how to do upkeep. I used the hth kit property before. He asked his brother to come do it to take some of work load off me. )
So at this point, not sure what effect the misuse of product by mixing all together at same time then adding to pool will have on filter balls or what to do now.
ANY advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Getting him in the pool will help improve his chances of walking again.

Attachments

• 17121051715607605378641588211449.jpg
    17121051715607605378641588211449.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 8
Hello,
Recently had someone take hth green to blue pool kit, dump all packages into a 5gal bucket filled it with water. Then dumped this mixture into the skimmer basket. I didn't realize until after about 24 hours with filter running.
Pool is still solid green. 28,000 gal inground. With rock waterfall and attached hot tub.
(Sidenote: I am a live-in care giver for an older gentleman who was recently partially paralyzed. This is his pool, I'm learning about how to do upkeep. I used the hth kit property before. He asked his brother to come do it to take some of work load off me. )
So at this point, not sure what effect the misuse of product by mixing all together at same time then adding to pool will have on filter balls or what to do now.
ANY advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Getting him in the pool will help improve his chances of walking again.
Hey there and welcome,

If the water is green, it means theres not enough chlroine in it. Floc and all the other stuff wont do anything to fix that. Is this a long term thing you’ll be doing where getting a test kit will be worth while? We can get the pool clean but the magic potions sold at pool stores will just rip you off and not do much.

TFP is different than most other sites and so the recommendations are different because they actually work, but it does take an accurate test kit and not trusting the pool store testing.

Welcome to TFP.

It will take a few steps to get that pool blue and sanitary again.

First step is going to be to unclog the sand filter and get it working again. The flocculant in the HTH kit clogs filters. Unfortunately that means you probably will need to open up the filter and deep clean the sand.

Read....

I suggest you read through our Pool School and the SLAM Process

I'm about to read the test kit recommendations, then will be buying one. Also gonna be opening filter to see what we got to work with. NO ONE has said anything good about filter balls. So any recommendations on best place to get sand/glass? Thanks again for sharing something different.

I'm about to read the test kit recommendations
I just broke it down for someone else :
(Woohoo for copy/paste)
Trouble Free Pool

There are 2 price brackets :

K2006 : supplies too small
TF100 : 2.7x the same supplies

---------------

K2006C : too many CH and TA tests. Not enough FC tests

TFPro : nicer case. Includes $44 stirring device. Supplies doled out for how we need.

*either TF kit can be upgraded to salt, which includes the $30 Salt test for $20 more, making them even better values.

*either TF kit can be upgraded to the SLAM option which doubles the FC supply you'll be blowing through to clear the swamp.

If you get the TF100 definitely add the smart stir. It's a must for most of us. The organization of the TFpro case is well worth the difference in cost at that point. (30?). It's really nice.

But either TFTESTKITS.NET kit beats their Taylor counterpart, all using the same Taylor drops. TF kits are also guaranteed fresh where using Amazon (etc) is hit or miss with how long the kit has been sitting on a shelf.

I'm about to read the test kit recommendations, then will be buying one. Also gonna be opening filter to see what we got to work with. NO ONE has said anything good about filter balls. So any recommendations on best place to get sand/glass? Thanks again for sharing something different.
Get sand, there is no great benefit to the extra cost of glass. Be sure to use pool filter sand only. Just find it at the best cost, you will need 600# for that TA100 filter.
You have a sand and gravel company in Houston that may have a good price:

Home depot out here carries filter sand.