DIY pool repair/upgrade advice needed.

Ivan275

Aug 10, 2020
California
Moved into a house with a epoxy painted 16,000ish gallon concrete plastered pool. Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed 3HP pump. It has been about 6 years and its time for a repaint. I read all about paint not lasting and sucking compared to other things that would cost me 10x more and last maybe 3 time longer. So epoxy paining I will do. My current pluming is copper or brass from way back in the olden days? I don't remember copper or brass, as its been like 5 years since I have looked at them. I am using a suction side robot vacuum, and the pool is saltwater with chlorine generator. Yes I know....
1. I'm in Southern California any advice on where to purchase paint that would take back the unopened paint I don't use?

The skimmer is about a 2 foot deep by 16 inch diameter cylindrical hole. It has the pump return pipe on the bottom and the main drain pipe coming in about 12 inches from the bottom. Right now there is a 4 way tee with 2 valves and an above ground skimmer in that hole. I can throttle the water flow to the main drain and skimmer with the 2 valves, vaccume flow is on all the time.
2. I would like to fill in the main drain with hydraulic cement, chip out the paint from my 24 x 16 inch "skimmer hole" drill 2 holes from the pool into the bottom of my the skimmer hole one for equalizer and one for a suction vacuum hook up, 2 inch lines, drill 2 more holes towards the pump (skimmer and vacuum 2 inch lines), drop in a real skimmer into it and hydraulic cement everything into place. The pool deck 3 feet between the pump and skimmer is already cut, just need to brake it out. Any thing wrong that line of thinking?

My 2 jets are just a 0.84 inch hole with a trace amount of plaster on the inside. 0.84 comes from the fact that a 1/2 PVC 0.84 OD just barely fit inside the hole.
3. What to do with my 2 "jet" pipes? Is 1.25 inch line for the jets ok? Are two 0.84 jest enough, as in the diameter not quantity? I was thinning of punching 2 holes where my current jets are, and running some Flexible PVC back to the pump with hard PVC tips at the pool side and hydraulic cementing them inplace. What size individual pipes to run? I will connect them together at the filter, don't to cut into the pool deck for this.

I know punching holes in the pool will not be that easy but how hard can it be with a water cooled diamond coring drill?

Attachments

• Pool.jpg
    Pool.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 23
Moved into a house with a epoxy painted 16,000ish gallon concrete plastered pool. Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed 3HP pump. It has been about 6 years and its time for a repaint. I read all about paint not lasting and sucking compared to other things that would cost me 10x more and last maybe 3 time longer. So epoxy paining I will do. My current pluming is copper or brass from way back in the olden days? I don't remember copper or brass, as its been like 5 years since I have looked at them. I am using a suction side robot vacuum, and the pool is saltwater with chlorine generator. Yes I know....
1. I'm in Southern California any advice on where to purchase paint that would take back the unopened paint I don't use?

The skimmer is about a 2 foot deep by 16 inch diameter cylindrical hole. It has the pump return pipe on the bottom and the main drain pipe coming in about 12 inches from the bottom. Right now there is a 4 way tee with 2 valves and an above ground skimmer in that hole. I can throttle the water flow to the main drain and skimmer with the 2 valves, vaccume flow is on all the time.
2. I would like to fill in the main drain with hydraulic cement, chip out the paint from my 24 x 16 inch "skimmer hole" drill 2 holes from the pool into the bottom of my the skimmer hole one for equalizer and one for a suction vacuum hook up, 2 inch lines, drill 2 more holes towards the pump (skimmer and vacuum 2 inch lines), drop in a real skimmer into it and hydraulic cement everything into place. The pool deck 3 feet between the pump and skimmer is already cut, just need to brake it out. Any thing wrong that line of thinking?

My 2 jets are just a 0.84 inch hole with a trace amount of plaster on the inside. 0.84 comes from the fact that a 1/2 PVC 0.84 OD just barely fit inside the hole.
3. What to do with my 2 "jet" pipes? Is 1.25 inch line for the jets ok? Are two 0.84 jest enough, as in the diameter not quantity? I was thinning of punching 2 holes where my current jets are, and running some Flexible PVC back to the pump with hard PVC tips at the pool side and hydraulic cementing them inplace. What size individual pipes to run? I will connect them together at the filter, don't to cut into the pool deck for this.

I know punching holes in the pool will not be that easy but how hard can it be with a water cooled diamond coring drill?
I wont comment on the paint thing except to say you would be wise to get all the old paint off first so it can adhere better and last longer.

I’m curious if your skimmer and deck are already cut, why keep the copper plumbing at all? Its quite easy to drill a hole in concrete with a hammer drill and you could install 2 new 1.5” PVC lines as jets on that one end of the pool. The downside being that you generally want the return jets pushing water across the pool to the skimmer.

I dont quite get your skimmer plan but since its already chipped up in the deck, why not just install the correct style skimmer?

I wont comment on the paint thing except to say you would be wise to get all the old paint off first so it can adhere better and last longer.

I’m curious if your skimmer and deck are already cut, why keep the copper plumbing at all? Its quite easy to drill a hole in concrete with a hammer drill and you could install 2 new 1.5” PVC lines as jets on that one end of the pool. The downside being that you generally want the return jets pushing water across the pool to the skimmer.

I dont quite get your skimmer plan but since its already chipped up in the deck, why not just install the correct style skimmer?
Blue is current returns, red is where I'm thinking of running new lines...

pool 2.jpg
The current plan is to for sure run new 2" lines from pump to the new skimmer, I have no problem cracking and replacing the concrete between my skimmer hole and pump.

I am not sure if I need to replace the the 2 return lines. I want to but that will be adding a bunch of work. How do I know if my current once are too thin/restrictive for my pool and pump?

Would you recommend 1.5 to the back wall to another 1.5 line or do I need to run 2 inch along the wall or 2.5? Should I add a 3rd return line wile I'm at it?

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 5
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 5