princeton nj
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Hi. I am a novice in pool maintenance. We openened our pool s few days ago and our hayward salt generator does not seem to work. At the begining i was not concerned because of the temperature but now the pool is at 62F.
The computer says
csm comm errot
No cell power

What does that mean?
Our salt level is at 2800ppm

In the meantime,
- we checked the electrical panel and no joint needed to be soldered;
- we cleaned the cell (which is 2 years old): we just did a hand cleaning and hosed it. It looked clean. Tomorrow I’ll use some muriatic acid with a Hayward stand.

Each time, the computer says that the cell is connected and then it turned off again. and we still have the ‘csm comm error’ which we have no clue what it means.

any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum.
What computer is showing this error? I assume it is an automation system.

It is on the screen on the pool machinery monitor. I believe there are two messages:
1. csm comm error (see screen shot from the app: in blue)
2. no cell power (the pool monitor)

For the first one, we have an app to see all the technicalities of the pool, lights and heater. Maybe it is the interconnection with the app. My husband will trouble shoot the app when he get back from work.

As for the second one, it looks like the chlorinator cell does not work. I am getting the water tested by a pro today to check if the indications provided by the pool monitor correspond to the reality (salt level). We are however completely at loss with regards the cell chloriator and I am hesitant to change it as it is barely 2 years old.

Attachments

• tempImage1JVqYo.png
    tempImage1JVqYo.png
    132.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    561.8 KB · Views: 1
Do you have the Hayward Sense & Dispense system?

The CSM (Chemistry Sensing Module) comm error appears when Sense & Dispense is enabled, but the Chemistry Sensing Module is not found.

If yes, verify that it's plugged in.

If no, disable Sensing System in the Configuration Menu.

- we cleaned the cell (which is 2 years old): we just did a hand cleaning and hosed it. It looked clean. Tomorrow I’ll use some muriatic acid with a Hayward stand.

Do not clean the cell using Muriatic Acid if it does not have visible scale that cannot be cleaned by other methods. Cleaning with Muriatic Acid will reduce the life of your cell.

Read SWG How It Works - Further Reading

- we checked the electrical panel and no joint needed to be soldered;

Which electrical panel are you referring to?

Post pics of the from and back of the board.

That error is a board problem. Either a bad relay or solder joints.

Post the diagnostic information...

1624483920393-png.348835

The CSM (Chemistry Sensing Module) comm error appears when Sense & Dispense is enabled, but the Chemistry Sensing Module is not found.

ok thanks. Where can I see if I have the sense & dispense system?

Do not clean the cell using Muriatic Acid if it does not have visible scale that cannot be cleaned by other methods. Cleaning with Muriatic Acid will reduce the life of your cell.

Read SWG How It Works - Further Reading
ok thanks. I removed all the scale I could see. So I’ll leave it as is. I guess I need to check it again in 3 months, right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok thanks. Where can I see if I have the sense & dispense system?

You will have equipment that looks like this...

ok thanks. I removed all the scale I could see. So I’ll leave it as is. I guess I need to check it again in 3 months, right?

I check my cell once a year at pool closing.

Check your cell whenever you think there is a problem.

I looked it up and we don’t have one. I disabled the sensing system and it worked. Thank you!!

Another question though: in the tutorial you sent me, it says that the machine is automatically programmed to T-Cell 15 (default). Should I change it to a different value?
I think my pool is 16000 gallons

(the pool guys who maintained my pool till now told me it was 3000 gallons!!! That’s when I decided to give up on them. I am not sure of the capacity. Is there a reliable calculator I can use?

You will have equipment that looks like this...

thank you. I don’t have this. I replied on your other message. In any case, the check system light turned off!! THANK YOU!!!

What model cell do you have?

Post pics of the labels on your cell.

(the pool guys who maintained my pool till now told me it was 3000 gallons!!! That’s when I decided to give up on them. I am not sure of the capacity. Is there a reliable calculator I can use?

What are the dimensions and depth of your pool?

If you need to get an estimate of the amount of water in your pool you can use the calculator at the bottom of the old Pool math web page. You simply enter the pool dimensions and average depth and it gives you the gallons of water in the pool.

Pentair has a Pool Volume Calculator that lets you select from rectangular, oblong, round, and triangle shapes.

What are the dimensions and depth of your pool?

If you need to get an estimate of the amount of water in your pool you can use the calculator at the bottom of the old Pool math web page. You simply enter the pool dimensions and average depth and it gives you the gallons of water in the pool.

Pentair has a Pool Volume Calculator that lets you select from rectangular, oblong, round, and triangle shapes.
It is between 14800 and 15300 depending on the calculator. My pool is kidney but both loops of the pool are the same size (no smaller end and larger end)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support