Cracked Nut on Pumb Inlet Union, How to Repair?

laprjns

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 14, 2012
Ellington, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pureline Crystal Pure 60,000
The nut on my pump inlet union has cracked and air is being sucked into the pump. The slip of the nut side of the union is installed directly over the 3 way valve sleeve. The plumbing is all 2 inch. Would a fitting extender work here?? Any other suggestions.
Thanks for your help
RichIMG_0894[159].jpg

A fitting extender might save you there from having to redo a lot of plumbing. I would certainly try that as a way to repair the cracked nut.

Alternatively you can very carefully cut and remove the pump union fitting from the valve stub. There is a bit more risk in doing more damage then good with that approach though. I would try and make an extender work first. You are going to have to cut the union flange off the fitting no matter which way you go.

After looking at it more closely yesterday I realized that the union has a face seal on it and therefore should seal airtight if the nut is tighten down, no mater if there was a crack. So I gave it another shot yesterday and found out when tightening the nut down, it would hit up against the overhang lip of the pump basket lid, and not allowing complete compression of the o-ring seal. This is the actual cause of the air leaks, not the cracked nut. So I going to have to replace the union with one that doesn't interfere with the pump basket lid.
I do have a fitting extender on order from Amazon, but it doesn't get here until May 21 at the earliest. I don't really want to wait until then so I may give heating the fitting a try.

Thank for you help
Rich

I was concern about ruining the 3 way valve using a heat gun so I decided on the 2" fitting extender (local pool store had them in stock). Installed it yesterday and got the system up and running this morning. I cut off the sealing face flange and glue on extender over the remaining slip sleeve of the old union.

Attachments

• IMG_0900[173].jpg
    IMG_0900[173].jpg
    624.7 KB · Views: 16
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.