GulfofWloo

Apr 15, 2024
Southern IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
33' round above ground pool. Sand filter. Third season with the pool. Last year I switched to liquid chlorine and chlorine pucks through an autofeeder from baquacil. Long story short - didn't understand what CYA was and how it was being added by the pucks. CYA was over 130 last year and I couldn't maintain the pool. Left pool uncovered for the winter - different story.

I am ordering a test kit as described in the forum, but did get the water tested at a retail shop FC-0 and CYA-5. Pool is brackish green and I have started scooping the organic material from the bottom. I have also replaced the sand in the filter - which had been recommended last year after I switched from baquacil to chlorine and I didn't do.

Should I drain some more water out of the pool prior to starting the SLAM process or just get the organics scooped as best I can and start the SLAM?

Scoop as much out as possible and also vacuum to waste if you can. The latter will drain your pool so be mindful of the level.
Then add CYA to 30ppm before SLAM. Lower pH to 7.2 and raise FC to 12ppm and maintain for SLAM process.

Since pool was uncovered, do you imply that pool overflowed with rain which is why CYA level declined? Or did you do a drain?