CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello, we have just had our liner put in for our pool renovation, will post some updated photos once I finish the patio in my other thread, however, I am having some 'issues' with the chemistry.

Just now I measured the following:

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
CYA - 50
TA - 130
Salt - 3800

A couple things are going on. I am BARELY running the SWG (Hayward 940), it is set at 5%, had it OFF for most of the last two days and the FC has dropped maybe 1ppm.

Second, I cannot for the life of me seem to get the CYA level to come up off 50 or the TA to go down from the 120 - 140 range.

Using the TF-100, the strips say the TA is 80 if that is worth anything.

Also, wondering the rational on why the TPF method recommends so much higher CYA and FC than 'typical'? And are there any health ramifications of the higher FC? Why is higher FC safe with more CYA?

Thanks!

Hello, we have just had our liner put in for our pool renovation, will post some updated photos once I finish the patio in my other thread, however, I am having some 'issues' with the chemistry.

Just now I measured the following:

FC - 7.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
CYA - 50
TA - 130
Salt - 3800

A couple things are going on. I am BARELY running the SWG (Hayward 940), it is set at 5%, had it OFF for most of the last two days and the FC has dropped maybe 1ppm.

Second, I cannot for the life of me seem to get the CYA level to come up off 50 or the TA to go down from the 120 - 140 range.

Using the TF-100, the strips say the TA is 80 if that is worth anything.

Also, wondering the rational on why the TPF method recommends so much higher CYA and FC than 'typical'? And are there any health ramifications of the higher FC? Why is higher FC safe with more CYA?

Thanks!
Here’s a link explain the FC and CYA thing

The short answer is that the active amount of chlorine is not really higher when using CYA. It’s that a certain portion of chlorine in the water is bound up with CYA and doesn’t do any sanitation, but the chlorine test doesn’t know that and reports all of it. But that reserved chlorine can easily become -unreserved- when it needs to do it kinda acts like a buffer in case something yucky gets in the water. Without any CYA, your chlorine will be gone within an hour or two.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.