Can I leave a semi-inground pool with no liner empty?

NJmoose

Mar 2, 2024
NJ
I have a 36x18 hexagon shaped, semi-inground pool, aluminum frame from the 70's. Part of the deep end is underground about 3ft. The rest is above ground. The yard has a high water table and floods sometimes. That's the reason it wasn't installed completey inground to begin with.

The liner is ripped beyond repair. At this point, I cannot afford to replace it and continue to maintain things year after year.
Removal will cost approx 4k.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if it's feasable to remove the liner and drain the pool, leaving the aluminum frame empty indefinitely? I'm guessing not with the water table, but I'd like some opinions. I'm also curious if anyone thinks keeping this kind of pool in that condition would help or hurt resale value in the future?

The aluminum frame cannot standalone empty for a long period of time. Eventually Mother Nature will reclaim it.

Having an empty aluminum frame in a hole in the ground in your backyard will hurt the value of the house in most areas of NJ. Any buyer will view it as an eyesore and a cost they will need to deal with.