Black tar buildup in skimmer

alexrh

May 2, 2024
Missouri
Just built the pool a year ago, it’s an 18 foot above ground pool. Towards the end of the pool season I noticed a black tar substance building up around the skimmer but no where else. I used baqacil last year and now I’m wondering if anyone knows what this might be or how to get rid of it, thanks!

Just built the pool a year ago, it’s an 18 foot above ground pool. Towards the end of the pool season I noticed a black tar substance building up around the skimmer but no where else. I used baqacil last year and now I’m wondering if anyone knows what this might be or how to get rid of it, thanks!
Welcome! Lost of former baquacil users come here when weird gooy stuff starts appearing, and its probably related to the baqu-goo you have. Are you planning to stay with the baquacil or switch to chlorine? (hint the chlorine is a better choice)

Heres a couple articles to read:

Welcome! Lost of former baquacil users come here when weird gooy stuff starts appearing, and its probably related to the baqu-goo you have. Are you planning to stay with the baquacil or switch to chlorine? (hint the chlorine is a better choice)

Heres a couple articles to read:
As of right now the black goo is the only downside I had with baqacil, my pool stayed clear all year and I haven’t had issues with algae. The main reason we do baqacil is because I have a lot of nieces and nephews come swim and my wife wanted to try and and use a chlorine alternative, as of now we’ll probably keep using baqacil as long as it’s working

As of right now the black goo is the only downside I had with baqacil, my pool stayed clear all year and I haven’t had issues with algae. The main reason we do baqacil is because I have a lot of nieces and nephews come swim and my wife wanted to try and and use a chlorine alternative, as of now we’ll probably keep using baqacil as long as it’s working

To be fair, it’s pretty easy to keep a pool clear in the first year so I can understand that. Having the goo start so quickly isnt a great sign and isnt something you get using chlorine. 😉 If you keep using it, we’ll be right here to help convert it. 😁 Theres a bunch of threads about baquacil issues.

One thing to highlight is that algae only become visible when its about to get bad. So be careful with it.

Chlorine sometimes gets a bad rap from experiences with bad water chemistry. Following the TFP guidelines has been great and some people dont even realize rheres chlorine in the pool.

In can you need this in the future: