At lost…

Apr 13, 2017
Dallas, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The pool sat over the winter due to repairs so it’s dark green. Been SLAMing for the past week the water went from dark green to cloudy light green. Whenever I have time to babysit the filter (I leave pump running but pool recirculating at slam level since I need to leave the house) I have to backwash the DE filter almost every hr as it will jump from 22-27+ in under an hour. Already went through 2 bags of DE by cleaning out/recharging the filter and backwashing. Vacuumed and brushed as best as I can since I cannot see the bottom. Oh btw I accidentally dumped 6 cups of DE in the pool when I was recharging it 3 days ago. The water is not clearing up, what should I do?

In ground 24000 gallon pool. DE filter. Single speed pump.

1712515050928.png
1712521541304.png

Last edited:
How much does your fill water cost? Likely easier and cheaper to dump the water and refill if you are in an area you can drain the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The pool sat over the winter due to repairs so it’s dark green. Been SLAMing for the past week the water went from dark green to cloudy light green. Whenever I have time to babysit the filter (I leave pump running but pool recirculating at slam level since I need to leave the house) I have to backwash the DE filter almost every hr as it will jump from 22-27+ in under an hour. Already went through 2 bags of DE by cleaning out/recharging the filter and backwashing. Vacuumed and brushed as best as I can since I cannot see the bottom. Oh btw I accidentally dumped 6 cups of DE in the pool when I was recharging it 3 days ago. The water is not clearing up, what should I do?

In ground 24000 gallon pool. DE filter. Single speed pump.

View attachment 562919
I think I’d bypass the filter until the green was gone. This is assuming you don’t want to dump the water. A green pool is likely to take a few weeks of diligent SLAM replenishing multiple times per day.

How much does your fill water cost? Likely easier and cheaper to dump the water and refill if you are in an area you can drain the pool.
Maybe $250 for 24k gallons? Might not be a bad idea since I have never drain it since I bought the house 7 yrs ago. Partial drain? Full drain? Or how do I proceed?

Last edited:
Great. So you have to decide if it is safe to drain. Do you have standing water nearby? Does water pond quickly near the pool when it rains?

I think I’d bypass the filter until the green was gone. This is assuming you don’t want to dump the water. A green pool is likely to take a few weeks of diligent SLAM replenishing multiple times per day.
So just keep at it until it turns to cloudy blue and start filtering and backwashing like crazy? and then is it normal for the pressure to raise 10 psi and back wash every hour?

Last edited:
You could do a no drain exchange.

Or just keep on SLAM Process

With a DE filter? They are a curse and a gift. They will clear a pool quicker, but it is with a lot of backwash and recharge. Recirculate until you can take a couple days to focus on it. Maintain SLAM FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You could do a no drain exchange.

Or just keep on SLAM Process

With a DE filter? They are a curse and a gift. They will clear a pool quicker, but it is with a lot of backwash and recharge. Recirculate until you can take a couple days to focus on it. Maintain SLAM FC.
ok that's what i've been doing for a week now and it feels a lot like throwing money into a pit. lol. maybe just need some confirmation what I'm doing is correct and maybe eventually I'll get there.

So you have held the FC at SLAM level and dedicated the bulk of daylight hours monitoring the filter and backwashing as necessary?

The recommendation is to set the filter to recirculate and maintain SLAM FC until you can dedicate a solid couple days to filter the water. Best if you are passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before you start to filter.

So you have held the FC at SLAM level and dedicated the bulk of daylight hours monitoring the filter and backwashing as necessary?

The recommendation is to set the filter to recirculate and maintain SLAM FC until you can dedicate a solid couple days to filter the water. Best if you are passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test before you start to filter.
Thanks for the replay,. Yes, when I started slaming I put the pump on recirculate for a couple of days until I started to see some improvement in pool color and then started filtering this weekend only to find the pressure was rising so rapidly that I have to backwash only after 30 mins to a hr. ran through 2 big bags of DE quick! Did not know you could recirculate until passing the OCLT to start filtering. Pool store boy said that was not normal and suggested to have the filter checked out so I started having doubts.

So just keep at it until it turns to cloudy blue and start filtering and backwashing like crazy? and then is it normal for the pressure to raise 10 psi and back wash every hour?
if algae is still actively growing then filtering it with DE is going to be even more painful. At least if you wait until its dead to start filtering its not as much of a battle. I think thats what Marty means when he said to just recirculate during the day until you have time to mess with the filter cleaning. The filter does not kill algae so make sure not to tradeoff maintaining the chlorine at SLAM level for messing with the filter.

Last edited:
if algae is still actively growing then filtering it with DE is going to be even more painful. At least if you wait until its dead to start filtering its not as much of a battle. I think thats what Marty means when he said to just recirculate during the day until you have time to mess with the filter cleaning. The filter does not kill algae so make sure not to tradeoff maintaining the chlorine at SLAM level for messing with the filter.
Ok as of this morning the pool color is this and the OCLT shows a 0.5 ppm loss and CC of 1.
1712583379127.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support