ASR - Concrete Cancer - Austin, TX

Just joined the group and trying to learn all I can about ASR and whether or not our pool is infected with it. Premier Pools was our builder here in Austin, Texas. Pour was in August / September of 2020. Completion in December. Cracks started to come in and really visible in August of 2022. We let the pool builder know. They filed bankruptcy. Insurance company denied the claim initially. Kinsale is the insurance company. Also hearing that they are not paying out anyone. Ans similar to another poster there is a case where they are trying to determine if it is either the quarry or the shotcrete contractor's fault.

We do have an attorney involved. Letter written to pool builder and insurance company. About to step into litigation though and bring in everyone we can. Before that happens though, i would like to get core samples done.

Does anyone have a contact for a firm that would do core samples to test for ASR here in Austin that they would recommend?

thanks!

I’ve been dealing with this myself. My story is my pool was built in 2019, cracks developed in 2021, pool builder got a claim filed with his insurance company then went out of business. Insurance company paid for core sample, ASR was the culprit and talking to the engineering company who performed the tests this is impacting hundred’s of pools in central TX due to the geographic nature of how aggregate is sourced locally and fly ash was hard to source around that time due to supply chain issues. Apparently this was an issue in CA back in the 70’s or 80’s and laws were passed to require more testing of the aggregate before application (just word of mouth from engineers I’ve talked to). In TX the testing requirements do not exist. Multiple large concrete/shot-crete companies in Austin are dealing with lawsuits or will be.

Luckily we got a settlement from the insurance company earlier this year and are currently rebuilding, hopefully water back in the pool next month. Took a few months to get the pool builder to create the claim initially (I think we were one of the early ones) then another 18+ months dealing with the insurance company (core testing, getting report back, submitting rebuild estimates and finally getting the check). Settlement should cover complete demo and rebuild, including re-landscaping due to yard being torn back up. I’m hearing from some owners that insurance companies are not settling now and instead waiting to settle the claim until after their lawsuit(s) with the concrete companies due to the high numbers. I know of at least 1 attorney who is planning a class-action against the concrete companies.

Went with gunite this time around. From what I understand gunite doesn’t have the same issue and the gunite company we used to shoot the new pool hasn’t had any failures related to ASR.

I’ve recapped at a high-level my experience. I have the engineering report for my pool along with personal conversations with pool builders, engineers, insurance company and lawyers to back up what I have stated. I know a lot of people are dealing with this and may not have a similar outcome. Many have been left high and dry by their pool builder to deal with on their own. I hope my story can help some of those currently in the process
Would you mind sharing the engineering company's info that used for testing? thanks!

Cracks started to come in and really visible in August of 2022.
You can see the plaster, tile, coping and deck, but none of that really matters in diagnosing the problem with the concrete.

To diagnose ASR, you have to be able to see the actual gunite or shotcrete.

Unless you can see the concrete, you are just guessing about it being ASR or not ASR with zero reason to suspect ASR.

I would want to see about 10 square feet of the structure to see if it has the characteristic cracking pattern.

At that point, you can probably get a preliminary diagnosis that it is probably ASR or it is probably not ASR.

You would also need core drilled samples to be taken for analysis to determine the definite diagnosis.

Do you have pictures of the actual gunite or shotcrete with at least 10 square feet of exposed concrete?

Last edited:
In my opinion, there are several important factors to consider.

1) A recent influx of tech money has created a construction boom including pools.

2) Pool builders are not required to be licensed to build pools, so any person can become a “Pool Builder” with zero experience or qualifications.

In my opinion, this had led to pools of poor quality that are experiencing problems.

Pool Builders have latched onto the ASR idea and they use it as a red herring to divert your attention from them and onto the concrete supplier.

Reactions: BluebonnetATX
In my opinion, there are several important factors to consider.

1) A recent influx of tech money has created a construction boom including pools.

2) Pool builders are not required to be licensed to build pools, so any person can become a “Pool Builder” with zero experience or qualifications.

In my opinion, this had led to pools of poor quality that are experiencing problems.

Pool Builders have latched onto the ASR idea and they use it as a red herring to divert your attention from them and onto the concrete supplier.
This is true. There are a lot of defects from non-ASR issues during construction, issues that contribute to ASR (like bad seals, and water leakage) and ASR itself. Bottom line is the pool builders are trying to shuck off responsibility (in most cases) and its important that the owner report and get objective answers as to whats going on (inspection, Core tests, etc).

I know of one pool builder in Austin who is almost always on site and checks batch reports before concrete is poured. ASR is an issue that the state of texas has known about since the 90s (see ASR in construction searches) as its in highway pillars and such, but no one has set standards for residential builders.

Hi. I’m in Leander. While I don't know they we have ASR, I have a little different situation than Hchang. My pool is holding water, but my attached raised spa is leaking about a gallon an hour that is NOT evaporation. I too have cracks all over the place: decking, tile, coping, plaster, pool and spa. Skimmers have a small crack. I have a 12 x 30 pool/spa on a 2' slope that has a faux edge wall that is about 6' above grade. We have done no repairs yet, only a small amount of demo on the spa. We had the pool company and the Structural Engineer on the original engineering print. Both the pool company and structural engineer are telling me they think it’s ASR. My Pool Builder is the same as Hchang. They told us the same story ; i.e. "they have 9 pools built around the time ours were that are cracking like this. We are the 9th". I will be doing a concrete core test soon. I am trying to get my shotcrete provider to supply their mix / aggregate records dating back to Aug 4 2021. We should all keep in touch. I too think a class action lawsuit is probably where something this big is headed too, but I have not contacted a lawyer yet.
IMG_5247.jpg

I can send pictures if interested.
Our spa is leaking as well. We also have the same pool builder- they’ve known about this for months with no attempt to resolve. I’m at the point where I don’t trust them with anything- especially honoring our warranty.

This is true. There are a lot of defects from non-ASR issues during construction, issues that contribute to ASR (like bad seals, and water leakage) and ASR itself. Bottom line is the pool builders are trying to shuck off responsibility (in most cases) and its important that the owner report and get objective answers as to whats going on (inspection, Core tests, etc).

I know of one pool builder in Austin who is almost always on site and checks batch reports before concrete is poured. ASR is an issue that the state of texas has known about since the 90s (see ASR in construction searches) as its in highway pillars and such, but no one has set standards for residential builders.
@jftexan Thanks for sharing all this info. I live in Austin and am having this exact issue with my concrete right now. I haven't figured out how to send a DM. Any chance I could chat with you by phone or email?

. I haven't figured out how to send a DM. Any chance I could chat with you by phone or email?
You are now able to now that you've posted. It's a security measure to ward off spam.

Click on anyone's name and then click 'start conversation'

And please excuse my terrible manners. Welcome to TFP !!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m rebuilding my pool because of this. Absolute craziness for two plus years.

ASR confirmed In shotcrete. They didn’t use fly ash. Was highly preventable.

Insurance/lawyers/new builders…pool had to be ripped out and replaced. New gunite (not shotcrete) was finally poured last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Maybe this person can help.

I know that firm and the owner personally. There is no one more highly qualified in the industry to help troubleshoot.

Can you show pictures of the concrete?

Who did the core samples?
The engineer hired by my pool builder’s insurance company did core samples. Zoom into image and look at seating ledge by patio, that’s where I saw first crack. You can also see one on tanning ledge. They started popping up all over after this.

Attachments

• IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    634.4 KB · Views: 193
The engineer hired by my pool builder’s insurance company did core samples. Zoom into image and look at seating ledge by patio, that’s where I saw first crack. You can also see one on tanning ledge. They started popping up all over after this.
Is this the plaster or gunite?

It looks like plaster to me.

Can you show pictures of the actual gunite?

Who did the core samples?

img_4791-jpeg.514991

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support