Anyone do travel sports with their kids? Tips to make it more affordable?

Does your group use the Band App or something similar for group communications? We do that with dance and all the parents are constantly communicating on group discounts at hotels or ways to pool resources.

Reactions: newbie919
If venue says no outside food wife played Kosher card. There are plenty of ways to get around the insane costs. Let me know if you need any help. We found lots of ways to save loot while travelling with 2 boys in opposite directions.
I eat keto so there’s not alot of options at these places except buying a $7 hotdog & throwing the bun out & of course the $5 bottled water 😂
I do have a backpack purse & load it down! Nuts, cheese etc. I am pretty sure I totally embarrass my kid with my “purse cheese 🧀🤣🤣🤣

Does your group use the Band App or something similar for group communications? We do that with dance and all the parents are constantly communicating on group discounts at hotels or ways to pool resources.
They do use groupme but I am new to this & all of them are not so I think they all just already have their own ways/places to stay etc. as they have been to these venues many times over the years so they don’t think to share info. Apparently its quite unusual to start playing club ball at 17. I found out about the stay & play hotels (that they’re always awful apparently) after spending my 1st terrible night in one & asking if others had the same experience.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
This is an extreme example but in the senior teenage dance group at the studio my daughter goes to, two of the families invested in an AirBnB in Phoenix when their girls were young (because all the dance competitions are in Phoenix … never down in Tucson 😡). The town home has like 5 bedrooms crammed into it (obviously designed to be a short term rental as are probably all the units in the complex). They use it for all their competition needs and let other parents in the group use it. When not in use for dance, it gets rented out as usual through AirBnB. They actually make some money off it (helps to finance their girls’ dance fees and costumes) and they plan to flip it as soon as the kids are out which will be in another year or two. There are already some younger dance moms trying to see if they can pool funds and make an offer on it.

I tell ya’ … what parents won’t do for their kids activities … 😂

This is an extreme example but in the senior teenage dance group at the studio my daughter goes to, two of the families invested in an AirBnB in Phoenix when their girls were young (because all the dance competitions are in Phoenix … never down in Tucson 😡). The town home has like 5 bedrooms crammed into it (obviously designed to be a short term rental as are probably all the units in the complex). They use it for all their competition needs and let other parents in the group use it. When not in use for dance, it gets rented out as usual through AirBnB. They actually make some money off it (helps to finance their girls’ dance fees and costumes) and they plan to flip it as soon as the kids are out which will be in another year or two. There are already some younger dance moms trying to see if they can pool funds and make an offer on it.

I tell ya’ … what parents won’t do for their kids activities … 😂
This is a similar situation as the parents who buy a house in their kiddos college town and the kids roommates pay rent - they usually sell when the kids graduate.
Unfortunately I am not quite so affluent. Still working on funding my primary domicile 🤣

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
This is a similar situation as the parents who buy a house in their kiddos college town and the kids roommates pay rent - they usually sell when the kids graduate.
Unfortunately I am not quite so affluent. Still working on funding my primary domicile 🤣

Yup. All of central Tucson around U of A are the 80 year old homes owned by the parents of students because it costs 1/10th the price of paying for campus housing. And they get awesome parking for all the games played on the weekends.

BEAR DOWN, WILDCATS!!

Unfortunately I am not quite so affluent.
Wait till you see what room and board costs. It's not part of scholarships so even with a 'full ride', most are paying full room/board. I don't even care what the mortgage on a house in the college town is, it'll be cheaper.

Then once you rent the other rooms you'll profit.

Wait till you see what room and board costs. It's not part of scholarships so even with a 'full ride', most are paying full room/board. I don't even care what the mortgage on a house in the college town is, it'll be cheaper.

The one full ride athletic scholarship offer she has so far is D2 - & it covers tuition only. They require athletes on scholarship to stay on campus. If you are a resident they require you have a meal plan as well.
So basically the same price as if she had no athletic scholarship and stayed at home. (Its 25 minutes away).
Supposedly the merit scholarships/grants will cover the rest but I have zero figures to back that up yet.
It is my understanding that D1 full rides cover the r& b as well as tuition. The D2’s are not allowed to. This applies to ncaa & njcaa.
I think all that is part of my stressing too - I am trying to learn & prepare but its alot & its coming at us fast! Trying to make sure I don’t spend needed college money on all this traveling stuff. I thought I had a plan but it kinda got a curve ball thrown at it so I’m a little uneasy about all of it 😬

Ugh. My kid is in kindergarten so I always appreciate the brief glimpses into future costs. Geez Louise! She does a lot of outside school activities and I’m hoping she’ll start losing interest in 1-2😆. Between the summer camps and these activities I am not sure how it’s going to go. She goes to public school so at least there’s that I suppose. And I only have 1 kid, hats off to those with more!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh. My kid is in kindergarten so I always appreciate the brief glimpses into future costs. Geez Louise! She does a lot of outside school activities and I’m hoping she’ll start losing interest in 1-2😆. Between the summer camps and these activities I am not sure how it’s going to go. She goes to public school so at least there’s that I suppose. And I only have 1 kid, hats off to those with more!

All my kids were very busy and all over the place with activities when young. Thankfully our church provided a lot of low cost summer camp and 1-day event options during the summers. Let your kiddo explore what they like then try honing in on the one or two things to keep them busy afterschool when they are about 7-8 years old. It’s a good lesson in time management to teach a young kid that even though things are fun, they aren’t always feasible. As for school, it won’t be until later on in middle school (7th to 8th grade) that afterschool sports become available. Some schools will allow older 5th graders and 6th graders to play JV (B team) middle school sports but not all do. If you district offers lots of sports options then that’s great and getting into school sports simplifies life a lot more than doing club sports. Definitely volunteer or offer to help out with coaching if that suits you - it’s a great way to stay involved with your kid and, especially, their friends.

Reactions: kul and Mdragger88

Many schools do not allow fresh and soph to live off campus forcing kids to pay insane amounts for 8x8 shared room. Insane

I’m grateful to live in a state and a city with an excellent state university. I also grew up in a town that was less than 3 miles from our state’s university system. It allowed me to go to a state university and get the degree I wanted and then go on to an Ivy League grad school. I saved a TON of money and graduated with zero debt. I have told my kids they will be doing the same thing - go to U of A, get the degree you want and then get into a top notch grad school if that’s what you want. You will graduate with no debt, amazing degrees and employers will be falling all over themselves to hire you.

The idea that expensive Ivy League schools are the ticket to great jobs is a myth and the only result is either bankrupted parents or young people graduating with a degree and a jumbo-sized mortgage of educational debt.

I’m grateful to live in a state and a city with an excellent state university. I also grew up in a town that was less than 3 miles from our state’s university system. It allowed me to go to a state university and get the degree I wanted and then go on to an Ivy League grad school. I saved a TON of money and graduated with zero debt. I have told my kids they will be doing the same thing - go to U of A, get the degree you want and then get into a top notch grad school if that’s what you want. You will graduate with no debt, amazing degrees and employers will be falling all over themselves to hire you.

The idea that expensive Ivy League schools are the ticket to great jobs is a myth and the only result is either bankrupted parents or young people graduating with a degree and a jumbo-sized mortgage of educational debt.
We have Ole miss right down the road about an hour so we have our fingers crossed on that one showing some interest. The jr college that has already made the offer is a feeder school for ole miss which is nice. Everything transfers. Ironically ole miss tuition is actually less than some of these other smaller schools like delta state. Our plan b has always been to do the jr route for an associates then the bachelors at ole miss. With a good gpa her tuition at ole miss would be covered just not r&b. Which is required of all 1st year students - along w the meal plan I believe like many places. I think getting some actual numbers would make me feel better so that is my next task. Not just whats on the tuition sheet. I did find out that it is totally appropriate to ask the coaches for concrete numbers for your child’s scenario before committing so I will be sure to do that as we get further along in this journey. I feel very uneducated about the whole college thing but I am trying to get a better understanding. I went to our local state tech school for a few classes and then learned a trade & worked 40 hrs a week while going to apprenticeship school at night for 5 years. I was on the “technical path” in high school so no one ever explained anything about college to me. I was unaware until just recently (23 years after the fact) that I could have applied for scholarships to help pay for that.
For now I’m just trying to enjoy this travel ball & school ball ride with my kiddo while we’re in it. Without stressing so much about the $$
I’m taking it trip by trip!
My hubby stays home with my son during these trips so just me & her feels kinda like Thelma & Louise! 😎 They get their hunting & fishing in while we’re off doing our thing.
It is quite arduous though (aside from the expense) I can’t imagine doing this for years & years but many have!

We have Ole miss right down the road about an hour so we have our fingers crossed on that one showing some interest. The jr college that has already made the offer is a feeder school for ole miss which is nice. Everything transfers. Ironically ole miss tuition is actually less than some of these other smaller schools like delta state. Our plan b has always been to do the jr route for an associates then the bachelors at ole miss. With a good gpa her tuition at ole miss would be covered just not r&b. Which is required of all 1st year students - along w the meal plan I believe like many places. I think getting some actual numbers would make me feel better so that is my next task. Not just whats on the tuition sheet. I did find out that it is totally appropriate to ask the coaches for concrete numbers for your child’s scenario before committing so I will be sure to do that as we get further along in this journey. I feel very uneducated about the whole college thing but I am trying to get a better understanding. I went to our local state tech school for a few classes and then learned a trade & worked 40 hrs a week while going to apprenticeship school at night for 5 years. I was on the “technical path” in high school so no one ever explained anything about college to me. I was unaware until just recently (23 years after the fact) that I could have applied for scholarships to help pay for that.
For now I’m just trying to enjoy this travel ball & school ball ride with my kiddo while we’re in it. Without stressing so much about the $$
My hubby stays home with my son during these trips so just me & her feels kinda like Thelma & Louise! 😎 They get their hunting & fishing in while we’re off doing our thing.
It is quite arduous though (aside from the expense) I can’t imagine doing this for years & years but many have!
oldest boy transferred from a d1 to a juco. all we pay for is an apt and food. He was not ready for d1 ball. Juco has matured him and he is also no longer undersized. nothing wrong with juco athletics.

Yeah, the whole college process and scholarship thing is a huge learning curve. Technically, your kiddos highschool guidance counselor should know all this and be able to guide you but … 🙄

We have Pima Community College here in Tucson and PCC has a larger total student enrollment than U of A. PCC has over 60,000 students enrolled (part- and full-time) and they manage a budget well north of a billion dollars a year. They offer an amazing array of associate degrees and technical certificates. All of it transferable to just about every university in Arizona. Many, many kids here go the route of PCC -> College -> (grad school or career). And a lot of the universities offer 5 year masters degree programs. I just found out the other day that Grand Canyon University offers an array of 1-year technical certificate programs and, if you want to, you can roll right into an undergraduate program and the courses you took for the certificate will count towards a bachelors. State schools are getting smarter and more flexible with their offerings because they know the educational model is changing - fewer and fewer families want to commit to an expensive 4 year school and degree program.

Enjoy the travel ball with your kiddo. It’s a lot of work and exhausting travel but it’s also memories that they will treasure forever … even if they don’t say so now 😉

Yeah, the whole college process and scholarship thing is a huge learning curve. Technically, your kiddos highschool guidance counselor should know all this and be able to guide you but … 🙄

We have Pima Community College here in Tucson and PCC has a larger total student enrollment than U of A. PCC has over 60,000 students enrolled (part- and full-time) and they manage a budget well north of a billion dollars a year. They offer an amazing array of associate degrees and technical certificates. All of it transferable to just about every university in Arizona. Many, many kids here go the route of PCC -> College -> (grad school or career). And a lot of the universities offer 5 year masters degree programs. I just found out the other day that Grand Canyon University offers an array of 1-year technical certificate programs and, if you want to, you can roll right into an undergraduate program and the courses you took for the certificate will count towards a bachelors. State schools are getting smarter and more flexible with their offerings because they know the educational model is changing - fewer and fewer families want to commit to an expensive 4 year school and degree program.

Enjoy the travel ball with your kiddo. It’s a lot of work and exhausting travel but it’s also memories that they will treasure forever … even if they don’t say so now 😉
What I would not do to rewind 4 years and be on the circuit with both boys again.......

Reactions: Mdragger88
oldest boy transferred from a d1 to a juco. all we pay for is an apt and food. He was not ready for d1 ball. Juco has matured him and he is also no longer undersized. nothing wrong with juco athletics.
We really love the juco school, team & coach & the fact that she has a starting offer so she would actually get to play but I just worry its a bit too soon to verbally commit (she’s still a junior) & that it would stifle other more lucrative offers.

My oldest went to a local community college for two years, and then transferred to a State University for her BA. Saved a bunch of money (we just went looking at condos with her this weekend, she is looking to buy. It just keeps going).

My middle child actually works for the same company I do. We have tuition reimbursement. She is going to college part time, while working, and work is paying for her degree.

My youngest is graduating high school this summer. She has a bunch of scholarships (for art), but not full rides. Some of the schools she has gotten into are pricey (I'm looking at you SCAD)

My oldest went to a local community college for two years, and then transferred to a State University for her BA. Saved a bunch of money (we just went looking at condos with her this weekend, she is looking to buy. It just keeps going).

My middle child actually works for the same company I do. We have tuition reimbursement. She is going to college part time, while working, and work is paying for her degree.

My youngest is graduating high school this summer. She has a bunch of scholarships (for art), but not full rides. Some of the schools she has gotten into are pricey (I'm looking at you SCAD)
This makes me dizzy! 😵‍💫 What a ride!

Reactions: newbie919

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support