Any tricks for removing rust stains?

aroby

Jul 26, 2011
After Hurricane Ian collapsed my pool enclosure into my pool, I have a few small spots on the bottom of the pool caused by rust. They're not serious, but they annoy me. My pool guy says he can remove them by pouring HCl onto them through a pipe. Not sure how he would do that in the deep end! Any other tricks people have used to address this?

For a few small stains, Vitamin C tablets crushed up in a sock will likely be all you need.

Reactions: aroby
After Hurricane Ian collapsed my pool enclosure into my pool, I have a few small spots on the bottom of the pool caused by rust. They're not serious, but they annoy me. My pool guy says he can remove them by pouring HCl onto them through a pipe. Not sure how he would do that in the deep end! Any other tricks people have used to address this?

Your pool guy is treating it like a rebar rust stain. He puts a long PVC pipe in the water over the stain and pours some muriatic acid into the pipe.

It is less damaging to your plaster to first try the vitamin C in a sock tied to your pool brush and rubbed on the rust stain.

Reactions: Pkhpool
Your pool guy is treating it like a rebar rust stain. He puts a long PVC pipe in the water over the stain and pours some muriatic acid into the pipe.

It is less damaging to your plaster to first try the vitamin C in a sock tied to your pool brush and rubbed on the rust stain.
I used to have an attachment that was able to sand spots in the plaster that hooked up on the pool pole.Do they still have those? Sometimes muriatic acid makes it look worse.I also had a tool that would use a 3 inch tablet to rub out the stains that would attach to the pole

I used to have an attachment that was able to sand spots in the plaster that hooked up on the pool pole.Do they still have those? Sometimes muriatic acid makes it look worse.I also had a tool that would use a 3 inch tablet to rub out the stains that would attach to the pole
Hi any chance you can post a picture of your home made tool thanks

I had stains from a piece of wire that somehow had made it into our pool and was pushed around by the sweeper and left 30-40 one inch stains on the bottom. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) will remove them, so I bought a bottle of 1000mg vitamin C tablets and I used a 8Ft PVC pipe and dropped a tablet directly on each stain with the pool pump off (leave it off overnight). Stains were gone the next day. It is somewhat tedious but it works, at least on smaller stains.

Thanks TX mojo I ended up using a Clorox solution now I’m re adding the chlorine and running the pump and cleaner. I also adding a sock to the skimmer fingers crossed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I’ve decided for when I’m not here to replace the chlorinator and find the below and suggestion what to clean the inside of the pipe with before connecting the new one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 5