Apr 9, 2024
georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello!

I am new to owning and this is my first time opening one up. I attached some pics of how it looks today after double shocking it yesterday evening around 8pm. I left my pool on circulate since I have a sand filter and didn’t want algae getting stuck in there. I’m not sure if that was the right thing to do or not. It’s been on just circulation for a week now while we have been continuing to kill the algae. Most of it is out now so I changed it to filter this morning.

My pool is roughly 18,000 gal we think, but aren’t completely sure. It’s a Grecian pool and the deep end slopes inwards on all sides so I’m not sure if that’s standard for a Grecian pool or if the walls can also just go straight down. It’s making it hard for me to determine the true size.

Anywho, I bought the recommended Taylor 2006c test kit and tested a few things yesterday. These are the results:

CYA = 65
Alk = 120
Ph = 7.8
We have the Hayward sand filter and our pool has a vinyl liner.

After running these tests we vacuumed to waste to remove the little bits of dead algae and refilled the pool before double shocking it with 4 - 1lb bags of cal hypo shock. This was done last night around 8pm so it hasn’t been 24 hours yet.

The deep end floor of the pool is confusing because we’re unsure if it’s some sort of stain or algae? It looks bright if that makes sense. I can tell where the steps are that there is a green tint to it but again, we’re unsure if it’s algae or metal.

Something to note is that we did have high copper at one point but we have partially drained and refilled many times now. That brought down our CYA from 200+ to 65. Copper went from 1.8 to 0.6 according to Leslie’s test. Since the 0.6 test reading we have continued to do partial drains and refills so I feel we are in range now.

Was my ph too high to be shocking the pool yesterday? We were hoping the partial drain from vacuuming and refill would have lowered it a bit. Any advice on this would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_9562.jpeg
    IMG_9562.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9565.jpeg
    IMG_9565.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9564.jpeg
    IMG_9564.jpeg
    460 KB · Views: 6