Air in pump basket after heater replacement??

ramblinwreck001

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Recently had my old (leaking) heater and chlorinator replaced by a local pro -- a new Jandy JXi and a Jandy TruChlor erosion feeder (used sparingly). Other than this equipment and the necessary PVC connections, none of the other equipment was touched (pump, filter, Jandy valves, etc -- all of the other equipment is less than 1yr old). I've included a photo of my pad. FYI, this equipment is several feet above the pool water level and there's nothing I can do about that, just the way it was built. Quad-cartridge filter was just cleaned well by me.

I run the pump 24/7, 22 hours at low speed (1750RPM) and a couple of hours 2000RPM for better skimming during day (+5 minutes at higher speed at 8AM just to make sure the pump is fully primed to start the day). Before I had the equipment replaced, I never really had a problem with air in my pump basket. Sure, there would be a little more at 1750RPM than 2000RPM, but it wasn't too bad.

After the heater was replaced, I'm getting significantly more air in my pump basket. When I start the pump, it does prime fully (coin sized bubble in the pump), but after a few hours of running, the water level inside the pump has dropped probably 1" or so, it's essentially even with the top of the white plastic strainer, I attempted to show this in the photo. This is much worse than before my equipment was changed out. I put a brand new pump lid and O-ring (lubed with MagicLube 2 red/silicone) and it did not change anything. I also replaced and lubed all the O-rings in my section side Jandy valves.

Questions:
Is there any plausible explanation for this? I thought maybe the new equipment is less restrictive (pressure gauge barely moves the needle off zero at 2000RPM or lower) and maybe the hydraulic characteristics changed? I tried reducing the size of return eyeballs in the pool (went from 2x 3/4" + 2x 1/2" eyeballs, to 4x 1/2" eyeballs). That brought up my pressure a little bit but did not have any impact on the problem at the pump. Is the equipment change a red herring and unrelated to this problem? It's just weird that this problem started right when the new equipment went in.

If I run the pump at 2000RPM constantly (instead of 1750RPM), the water level in the pump doesn't drop as much.

As long as the water level doesn't go any lower inside the pump, any problem with this? I really don't like the way this looks and don't want the pump losing prime and frying itself while we're away (so far it has never lost prime on its own).

NOTES: I do see few tiny bubbles entering the pump in the clear check valve between the suction side Jandy valve and pump, but I've always had those. I assumed it was some kind of cavitation or dissolved gases coming out of solution since I have (a) large pump, (b) equipment several feet above water level, and (c) unrestrictive system (oversized cartridge filter).

Chris

Attachments

• equipment.jpg
    equipment.jpg
    828.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
It's hard to guess why replacing the heater, which is downstream from the pump, could cause air in the pump. Possibly the installer accidentally jostled the plumbing on the suction side, creating a small leak.

Reactions: ramblinwreck001
Wrap the pipe, check valve, and actuator on the suction side of the pump with Saran wrap and see if the air in your pump changes.

BTW, any use of that erosion feeder will contribute to the death of your new heater.

How do you chlorinate your pool?

Reactions: ramblinwreck001
I will try the Saran Wrap idea, thanks.
My primary sanitizer (98% of the time) is liquid chlorine.
The erosion feeder is only for occasionally use, when I'm traveling.
There is a corrosion resistant check valve between the erosion feeder and the heater.

There is a corrosion resistant check valve between the erosion feeder and the heater.

When the acid in the feeder eats away at the check valve who will you blame?

@1poolman1 will not install a gas heater that has a tablet feeder, check valve or not.

> When the acid in the feeder eats away at the check valve who will you blame?

Thank you for your input. I'm fully aware of the issues surrounding chlorine tab use. I am not asking about them in this post.

Since you asked, my pump runs 24/7 so there is no concentrated acid or chlorine backing up into the heater. I use liquid chlorine 51/52 weeks in the year. If the power happens to go out while I've got pucks in the feeder and we're on our 1 week summer vacation then I'm sure the corrosion resistant check valve (which has been designed specifically for use with chlorinators) can do its job for a few days until I can get a buddy to stop by and remove the tabs and check on the pool. I can also rebuild the check valve with a $30 rebuild kit which replaces the wear items.

Last edited:
Never mind. I wish you luck with your air bubbles.