Taylor 2600 kit CYA test

XabiaJust

Jul 16, 2024
Alicante
I have just acquired their 2600 kit (hard and expensive here in Spain) and performed a few basic tests.

For the CYA test, the dot disappeared (to my eye) very quickly. It wasn't even at the 100ppm mark, in fact it was at the 18ml fill mark. Does anyone know therefore how high my CYA actually is, or how I can test to get a calculable reading? I'm surprised this kit can't handle a CYA over 100ppm.

When I did the test I shook the bottle for 30 secs and I'm wondering if that skewed the test as I saw later on their YT video that he swirled it (like the other tests).

Yes, stick to swirling. You don't want to create tiny bubbles

Do a dilution. Start with 1 to 1. Get your best measuring cup, that you can fill repeatedly to the exact same amount. Use a bowl or something else that can hold one litre. Add 500 mls pool water and 500 mls tap water. Stir. Take your sample from this mix and double the reading.

(don't fill to 500 mls, then top up to 1000 mls, unless using laboratory quality. Measure 500 mls the exact same way each time.)

You're going to want to conserve your reagent, because of high cost. You could consider doing a 2 to 1 dilution first. One part pool water (500 mls) and two parts tap water (1000 mls) and triple the reading.

Yes, stick to swirling. You don't want to create tiny bubbles

Do a dilution. Start with 1 to 1. Get your best measuring cup, that you can fill repeatedly to the exact same amount. Use a bowl or something else that can hold one litre. Add 500 mls pool water and 500 mls tap water. Stir. Take your sample from this mix and double the reading.

(don't fill to 500 mls, then top up to 1000 mls, unless using laboratory quality. Measure 500 mls the exact same way each time.)

You're going to want to conserve your reagent, because of high cost. You could consider doing a 2 to 1 dilution first. One part pool water (500 mls) and two parts tap water (1000 mls) and triple the reading.
Great thanks for the tips, I'll probably do a 2 to 1 and triple the result to begin with if it's as high as it looks like it could be.