Salt Cell DIY Repair?

Sailorkane

Apr 16, 2020
Florida
There have been some salt cell threads on repair and construction of the Hayward salt cells. I have a Hayward T-15 that I bought NIB on the internet, but it has some kind of internal failure. I'm trying to get Hayward to stand behind it, but so far no joy. The salt reads low (900) when the actual salt is 3000. Pool shop tested it and it "failed". Changing controller setting to T5 makes it read 2000. I understand there is not much to the cells. Thermister on the Red/Blue wires and plates on the dual white and dual black wires. No other electronics. I popped the cover and see the black and white wires were crushed during assembly. Not sure if they are broken inside. Has anyone taken apart one of these cells and tried to repair them? The plastic looks molded around the plates. I am tempted to do some surgery, since its currently a paperweight. Anyone take apart an old dead one?

Where did you get the new cell?

Pictures of everything?

Hayward stands by their products, so there is probably a reason that they are not wanting to warranty this.

The whole thing seems suspicious.

What does the seller say?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.