Repair/Replace Air Release Valve when Pool Equipment is Below Pool Level

Joliball

Jun 3, 2024
PA
The air release valve on my Pentair FNS Plus 48 sf pump has started dripping in the closed position. From reading this helpful forum, I think it's likely the o-rings need to be replaced. Before I unscrew the air release valve to inspect, let me ask what may be a stupid question. My pool equipment is below the pool level, so I have to close a Jandy valve right before the pump when I clean out the pump basket (otherwise water pours out at a high rate). Do I need to close this Jandy valve before I unscrew this air release valve? Is the filter tank full of water since all the equipment is below the pool level? Do I need to drain it out or anything? I just want to know what to expect when I unscrew this air release valve. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Any chance you have isolation valves (or possibly check valves), on the way back to the pool?

I suspect you have check valves, else there would be water flowing out of the pump basket even with the suction line closed off.

Normally when the equipment is below the pool, it's designed and installed so that the pool can be isolated so that it won't drain when servicing equipment.

Thanks for your reply. I do not know of any check valves or isolation valves between the pool and the equipment. I have attached a photo of the pool equipment, pointing to the valve before the pump basket that I have to close before emptying the pump basket because the equipment is downhill from the pool. I closed that valve and emptied the pump basket this morning and the air release valve on the filter hissed air and stopped dripping. Replacement o-rings due to arrive later today, I have left the pool in service mode for now. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Pool Equipment Overhead2.png
    Pool Equipment Overhead2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I think you're fine to remove the air release valve and repair it. If water was able to flow back from the pool or spa returns, it would be flowing out of the pump strainer when you have the pump open. To be doubly sure, you could set the multiport valve to the closed position.

There appears to be a check valve in the return line - in you pic, just above the filter. The black thing with the clear cover.
With pump off - shut the valve off on the pump suction line and open the air relief valve. A little water may come out and then it should stop.

Thanks very much to both of you. Really appreciate your help! I bought a cheap replacement air release valve, closed the valve before the pump basket, and opened the dripping air release valve - water slowly flowed out - I don't know if it would have stopped eventually (I expect it would have) but I just unscrewed the old air release valve and screwed in the cheap replacement. Running the pump now and no leaks. I took the old valve apart and the small o-ring at the top was half-disintegrated. I'm sure that's the culprit. I'll get an o-ring kit to have on hand so I can replace this new one when needed.

Sharp eyes there, proavia - I guess I disregarded that because I figured it ran from the filter back into the pool, but now that you point it out and think about it, it makes sense - I guess that valve automatically keeps water from flowing back down from the pool when the pump is off, so I didn't really have anything to worry about. Still new to pool ownership, learning all the time. Thanks again to needsajet and proavia, and to all of TFP - a great resource!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.