Questions after first summer with SWG

Striff23

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Morganville, NJ
This summer the price of chlorine finally pushed me into making the switch to a SWG (CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS) and I knew it would be a smart move but I had no idea how great a decision it would be. I read a lot of articles here about CYA and settled around 70 and my FC was always between 6.0 & 7.0. The water was crystal clear all summer long, so thanks as always for all of the detailed information and guidance.

I just closed my pool and looking back on the summer, I have a few quick questions that I hope are easily answered by the experts here, thanks in advance.
  1. Lines are blown out and no water visible in the SWG, anything else to do for the winter? Would prefer to leave the SWG installed if there’s no appreciable benefit to removing.
  2. I work in the office Mon - Fri so I am not home to monitor the pool most of the time when the pump is running. On the weekends towards the end of the season, I noticed that occasionally the controller would indicate Low Salt. So I’d take a sample of pool water and test with Taylor K-1766 kit and salt was fine (approx. 3800). An hour or so later I’d go outside and the Low Salt indicator would be off. Does this sound normal? If I change the controller display to show the Salinity, the value is not stable and goes up & down as I watch it so thinking it’s just not an accurate measurement and I can ignore this & trust my Taylor kit results.
  3. As noted above, I am often not home with the SWG & pump are running, so I cannot always see any indicators from the controller as they show up (like the Maintenance light). Is the worst-case scenario that my SWG is not generating salt, or is there a condition that could lead to damage and failure? In other words, if I’m not able to regularly observe the controller, am I potentially missing a dangerous indicator that could damage the system, or is the only possible result that I come home to low FC? If it’s the latter, I assume by regularly monitoring my FC levels I can remain apprised of any issues. I just don’t want to miss a looming problem but I can’t be there every day to look.
  4. Is scaling on the plates obvious? Is there harm in cleaning it each winter just to be safe?
Again, thanks in advance for help with establishing my procedures going forward with this SWG.

1. @ajw22?

2. @ajw22?

3. Usually, the only harm done by a misbehaving SWG is low/no FC, and then an algae outbreak if left unnoticed for too long (days). Install a cam or two, or a PTZ cam that can look around. I have one on my pool and one on my pad. I take some ribbing for them here, because I won't shut up about 'em, but they are a huge help and convenience, and a great comfort while I'm out of town (and even while I'm home). I can read my filter gauge, watch the lights on my SWG, check on the motorized valves, look for leaks, check my pool's level, even spot algae, etc.

4. Yes, obvious. And yes, cleaning can harm the plates. If you don't see obvious white blobs of calcium, leave it alone. If you do, you first try to just hose them clean. Then maybe a slight gentle nudge with a wooden or plastic stick (NOT metal). Last resort is an acid bath. But every bath will lessen some amount of the longevity of the plates (which are covered with precious metals), so the less you use acid the better. There is no need or advantage to cleaning the plates when you can't see any calcium build up. Just the opposite.

Last edited:
  1. Lines are blown out and no water visible in the SWG, anything else to do for the winter? Would prefer to leave the SWG installed if there’s no appreciable benefit to removing. I assume the swcg has quick screw connectors. I would remove and store it for the winter. Why subject the plastics and plates to extreme low temperatures.
  2. I work in the office Mon - Fri so I am not home to monitor the pool most of the time when the pump is running. On the weekends towards the end of the season, I noticed that occasionally the controller would indicate Low Salt. So I’d take a sample of pool water and test with Taylor K-1766 kit and salt was fine (approx. 3800). An hour or so later I’d go outside and the Low Salt indicator would be off. Does this sound normal? If I change the controller display to show the Salinity, the value is not stable and goes up & down as I watch it so thinking it’s just not an accurate measurement and I can ignore this & trust my Taylor kit results. Trust Taylor test results. The reading from the cell is approximate, and takes temperature into account, which constantly changes. Mine swung 1000 ppm yesterday.
  3. As noted above, I am often not home with the SWG & pump are running, so I cannot always see any indicators from the controller as they show up (like the Maintenance light). Is the worst-case scenario that my SWG is not generating salt, or is there a condition that could lead to damage and failure? In other words, if I’m not able to regularly observe the controller, am I potentially missing a dangerous indicator that could damage the system, or is the only possible result that I come home to low FC? If it’s the latter, I assume by regularly monitoring my FC levels I can remain apprised of any issues. I just don’t want to miss a looming problem but I can’t be there every day to look. SWCG will stop producing. If something more serious happens, the fuse in the controller will protect the hardware.
  4. Is scaling on the plates obvious? Is there harm in cleaning it each winter just to be safe? Scale is obvious. With good water chemistry you may not have much scale. Only clean it when actually needed. Cleaning takes a toll on the plates.
Again, thanks in advance for help with establishing my procedures going forward with this SWG.

This summer the price of chlorine finally pushed me into making the switch to a SWG (CircuPool RJ-60 PLUS) and I knew it would be a smart move but I had no idea how great a decision it would be. I read a lot of articles here about CYA and settled around 70 and my FC was always between 6.0 & 7.0. The water was crystal clear all summer long, so thanks as always for all of the detailed information and guidance.

I just closed my pool and looking back on the summer, I have a few quick questions that I hope are easily answered by the experts here, thanks in advance.
  1. Lines are blown out and no water visible in the SWG, anything else to do for the winter? Would prefer to leave the SWG installed if there’s no appreciable benefit to removing.

What model SWG are we discussing?

SWG cells can stay installed in the winter if they are clear of water.

1. I work in the office Mon - Fri so I am not home to monitor the pool most of the time when the pump is running. On the weekends towards the end of the season, I noticed that occasionally the controller would indicate Low Salt. So I’d take a sample of pool water and test with Taylor K-1766 kit and salt was fine (approx. 3800). An hour or so later I’d go outside and the Low Salt indicator would be off. Does this sound normal? If I change the controller display to show the Salinity, the value is not stable and goes up & down as I watch it so thinking it’s just not an accurate measurement and I can ignore this & trust my Taylor kit results.

Model of SWG?

Post pictures of your equipment pad.