Pump below pool level, pump gushing out water and can’t clean basket / how to empty water out of filter

Tnethpdx

Jul 25, 2024
Portland, Oregon
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all,

I am new to being pool owner and have been trying to figure out how to clean my pump without after gushing out every time.
My equipment is below the pool level.

I have tried to close the suction valve and not sure if there is anything else I need to do.

Pentair filter-

It has also been hard to drain out the filter to clean the cartridge. I opened the bottom drain and it keeps flowing out water and seems like it keeps refilling.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• F3A30313-7387-4354-ACC3-02BDB322EB08.jpeg
    F3A30313-7387-4354-ACC3-02BDB322EB08.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 3754B982-10B3-468E-BE4E-22F9A8E7EEF5.jpeg
    3754B982-10B3-468E-BE4E-22F9A8E7EEF5.jpeg
    786.7 KB · Views: 12
  • CCE884C2-488B-4A99-A191-5ACDEC07C11A.jpeg
    CCE884C2-488B-4A99-A191-5ACDEC07C11A.jpeg
    590.2 KB · Views: 13
You will need to close off both the suction and the returns before opening up the plumbing. I'm assuming the valve in your pictures is on the suction line. Turn it so that the handle points away from the pump (and the little "closed" marker points towards the pump). On the return line there should be a valve somewhere between the heater and the lines returning back to the pool that you can close off as well.

You will need to close off both the suction and the returns before opening up the plumbing. I'm assuming the valve in your pictures is on the suction line. Turn it so that the handle points away from the pump (and the little "closed" marker points towards the pump). On the return line there should be a valve somewhere between the heater and the lines returning back to the pool that you can close off as well.
Sorry yes the photo I have there is not closing off suction to pump.

I will have the handle point away from the pump.

The return line valve is the first photo and I can’t turn the valve to close off the on going into the heater.

Do I need to unscrew the valve and then reposition it inside?

These valves often have a stop intended to prevent you from from "dead heading" your pump by shutting off all flow. But in this situation that's exactly what you need to do to service the equipment. If you are hitting the stop before the handle will turn to the needed shutoff position you can loosen the thumbscrew on the handle further and at some point get the handle to move past the stop. You can also take the handle off entirely and cut off the stop.

Reactions: Tnethpdx
These valves often have a stop intended to prevent you from from "dead heading" your pump by shutting off all flow. But in this situation that's exactly what you need to do to service the equipment. If you are hitting the stop before the handle will turn to the needed shutoff position you can loosen the thumbscrew on the handle further and at some point get the handle to move past the stop. You can also take the handle off entirely and cut off the stop.
This is exactly what I needed to do! I was able to figure this out and clean the filter and pump basket! Everything is working in good condition now. My pool guy finally called me back. 🥰