Pool robot cleaner - I thought it was broken, but it wasn't!

FlaPoolGuy

Gold Supporter
Oct 5, 2019
Florida
Hey y'all - just wanted to give a quick post about my pool robot *not* being broken, but it was acting weird.

I noted that my Pentair Warrior SE, which is about 5 years old, was acting strangely. It would sometimes start, sometimes not. If it started, it would sometimes quit before running the full duration of time. Sometimes, the lights on the controller box would just blink and nothing would happen.

Because the blue insulated controller wire was decaying (I leave the robot in the pool nearly 100% of the time), I replaced it, which did not help. I opened up the controller box, disassembled and reassembled the guts- everything looked fine inside. I switched the device to a different power outlet on a different circuit. Did not fix it.

I was getting pretty desperate. I was either going to have to dust off my manual vacuum hoses and vacuum head, or buy a new robot.

Before I got on the phone with Marina Pool and Spa to order the replacement, the lights inside my house started flickering when the agitator in my washing machine was running. The electrical, as far as I could tell with my voltmeter was looking ok. I called the electric company to check my electric, and they determined that I had a "faulty neutral" between my house and the power box on the street. They replaced it, and my robot is happily chugging along!

TLDR: robot was fine, the electricity provided by the electric company was bad.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yeah it was odd-ball enough that I wanted to post it here. Not a typical problem, and it almost cost me $1000 for a new robot. The electric company did the repair for free since it was on "their side" of the electrical meter attached to the side of the house. They dug a gigantic pit right next to my pool filter/pump to do their work, but thankfully they refilled it and none of the pool equipment fell in!