Piping Questions - How to Improve Flow

freedom5

Aug 8, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
My Hayward navigator crawler was on it's last legs, so, I replaced with a Vingli 2 wheeler suction side cleaner. It works, but, requires more suction power to work, I bought to future proof as I need to replace my drain covers with the rounded concave safety kind the Hayward crawler won't be able to crawl over.

One of the obvious options are to upgrade my pentair superflo VS pump from 1.5 HP to the bigger 3 HP. As I stated analyzing my pool equipment, I noticed there are an awful lot of 90 degree turns in my return line from DE filter and heater and a couple from my suction side too. My pump equipment is 40-50 feet from my pool. If I eliminated 2 suction side 90 degree elbows and 7 return line 90 degree elbows would that give me a noticeable improvement? See attached pics.

Attachments

• 20240629_095435~2.jpg
    20240629_095435~2.jpg
    752.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240629_095321~2.jpg
    20240629_095321~2.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
It would be easier getting a robot pool cleaner which cleans better then any suction cleaner then doing all those plumbing changes which will give marginal improvements.

It would be easier getting a robot pool cleaner which cleans better then any suction cleaner then doing all those plumbing changes which will give marginal improvements.
Questions:
1) Can they clean for extended period of time? Like if you were to travel for a couple weeks.
2) Will that cause problems of I close of the suction side port?

1) Can they clean for extended period of time? Like if you were to travel for a couple weeks.

Depends on the cleaner, the size of its basket, and the amount of debris you pool gets. In general, probably not.

Let your pool get dirty when you travel and run the robot to clean it up when you return.

2) Will that cause problems of I close of the suction side port?

That your current suction cleaner plugs into? No.

Reactions: freedom5
But, back to original question, is there any way to improve flow by reducing 90 degree elbows? On how much benefit is it on suction side vs return side?
If I eliminated 2 suction side 90 degree elbows and 7 return line 90 degree elbows would that give me a noticeable improvement?

Not likely.

How will you measure this noticeable improvement?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But, back to original question, is there any way to improve flow by reducing 90 degree elbows?
Not much but it depends on how many you have now and how many you can reduce it by and what you are replacing the 90s with. Also, there is a limitation due to the other components of the plumbing. Long story short, you probably won't notice a difference.

On how much benefit is it on suction side vs return side?
From a head loss standpoint, they are the same. However, it is always better to reduce head loss on the suction side to reduce air leaks.

Reducing head loss on the return side without reducing head loss on the suction side can make air leaks worse.

Why don't you simply redirect more flow to the cleaner?

What is the pump RPM?

Last edited:
I'm not sure, hence, looking for advice.

We are having a circular discussion.

What are you looking to improve that would be noticeable? If it is your suction cleaner you will get more noticeable better cleaning from a robot cleaner.

Replacing some 90s would not be noticeable in your suction cleaner behavior.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.