Pentair Easytouch GFCI Issue

Sep 2, 2016
Roseville
Just installed a Pentair Easytouch to control my pool. Love it already but the installer didn’t have a GFCI for the side so we used a regular outlet until I could get one the next day. Regular out works fine and had power…two white wires, two black wires and a ground. Today I tried installing the GFCI outlet and it won’t let me reset or test it.

Line Black going to dedicated breaker
Load Black going to something up top on the panel
White neutral to panel neutrals
White neutral coming into panel
Green ground going from outlet to panel ground bar

This setup works for the non GFCI. Why wouldn’t it for a GFCI?

Just installed a Pentair Easytouch to control my pool. Love it already but the installer didn’t have a GFCI for the side so we used a regular outlet until I could get one the next day. Regular out works fine and had power…two white wires, two black wires and a ground. Today I tried installing the GFCI outlet and it won’t let me reset or test it.

Line Black going to dedicated breaker
Load Black going to something up top on the panel
White neutral to panel neutrals
White neutral coming into panel
Green ground going from outlet to panel ground bar

This setup works for the non GFCI. Why wouldn’t it for a GFCI?
Looks like the black load is going to the light relay on the panel

Neutrals from GFCI loads need to connect the neutral lug on the GFCI CB and not to the panel neutral bar.

Show me pictures of the wiring.

Show me what does not work.

If your words were correct it would work. I don't know if your words are incorrect or your wiring does not match your words.

One thing bothers me about the picture with the receptacle showing the 2 white wires where they go, there is also is a tab there that looks like it's supposed to be broken off. I just did the same but with a Eaton product and the contacts on the neutral side and the contacts on the hot side were separate there was nothing to break off but one was on end of the back and one wire was on the other end of the back of that and it clearly showed line and load so I'm not understanding how this works if line and load if that tab is still connected maybe read the instructions and see if that tab is supposed to be broken off if you're running a line off that outlet to be gfci protected.

One thing bothers me about the picture with the receptacle showing the 2 white wires where they go, there is also is a tab there that looks like it's supposed to be broken off. I just did the same but with a Eaton product and the contacts on the neutral side and the contacts on the hot side were separate there was nothing to break off but one was on end of the back and one wire was on the other end of the back of that and it clearly showed line and load so I'm not understanding how this works if line and load if that tab is still connected maybe read the instructions and see if that tab is supposed to be broken off if you're running a line off that outlet to be gfci protected.
This is not a GFCI outlet...

img_7457-jpeg.610605

The tab is there to power the two sockets together. The tab can be removed to power each socket individually so one can be always on while the other can be switched.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Putting the light hot wire on the LINE screw does not give GFCI protection.

Only devices on the LOAD side of a GFCI outlet are protected.

Trip the GFCI and I think you will find the light power is still on.

Reactions: wireform
Just because it's tripping the gfci doesn't mean you've done something wrong perhaps there's a problem with the light and the gfci is doing what it was designed to do. Is there another wire together with it at the relay which has a neutral wire going elsewhere which can also contribute to what you have going on.

Just because it's tripping the gfci doesn't mean you've done something wrong perhaps there's a problem with the light and the gfci is doing what it was designed to do. Is there another wire together with it at the relay which has a neutral wire going elsewhere which can also contribute to what you have going on.
No there are two black wires on the aux terminal. Here is the outlet and the aux relay. One of the black wires where there is two goes to the load side of the outlet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support