Opinions on what to do on Pentair water heater?

capp35

Jun 22, 2024
Houston, TX
I have a Pentair water heater that is hooked up to my Intellitouch.
Noticed yesterday I have water coming from my manifold, looks like maybe one of the mounting bolts. Bolts are in bad shape due to saltwater. So could be manifold coming loose or could be heat exchanger?
Is it worth taking the time and effort trying to get the bolts out? What are the chances it is a heat exchanger?
May go with a smaller unit if I have to buy new, what size would I need for just my hot tub?
Should I go back with Pentair or is there another brand that’s better or generic that won’t make me go broke?
Thanks for the info, my pool company told me I’m looking at about $4500 to replace and seems a little excessive.

I have a Pentair water heater that is hooked up to my Intellitouch.
Noticed yesterday I have water coming from my manifold, looks like maybe one of the mounting bolts. Bolts are in bad shape due to saltwater. So could be manifold coming loose or could be heat exchanger?
Is it worth taking the time and effort trying to get the bolts out? What are the chances it is a heat exchanger?
May go with a smaller unit if I have to buy new, what size would I need for just my hot tub?
Should I go back with Pentair or is there another brand that’s better or generic that won’t make me go broke?
Thanks for the info, my pool company told me I’m looking at about $4500 to replace and seems a little excessive.
Which Pentair heater? MasterTemp? Which size in BTU?
Water leaking at the lower bolts indicates the heat exchanger is bad, but it is NOT due to using salt for chlorination. There is more salt in your tears than in a pool with the proper amount of salt. And there is salt in EVERY pool that has ever had chlorine in it.

If you go smaller, expect that it will take longer to get the spa to the temperature you want, sometimes more than twice as long. You can save initially if you go to a smaller heater, then kick yourself every time you have to wait an hour to heat the spa. Had two customers talk me into installing smaller heaters to save some money. Both regretted it, I hated the complaints as I had told them that they wouldn't be happy, and never again installed a smaller heater at a customer's request.

Check the price of a heater online. That is also about what an installer would pay for one at a distributer. Then he has to make a profit or go out of business. That price, $4500.00, will get you a small heater. Get the largest your gas line will supply. Once they are installed, there is no trade in for a better model.

Which Pentair heater? MasterTemp? Which size in BTU?
Water leaking at the lower bolts indicates the heat exchanger is bad, but it is NOT due to using salt for chlorination. There is more salt in your tears than in a pool with the proper amount of salt. And there is salt in EVERY pool that has ever had chlorine in it.

If you go smaller, expect that it will take longer to get the spa to the temperature you want, sometimes more than twice as long. You can save initially if you go to a smaller heater, then kick yourself every time you have to wait an hour to heat the spa. Had two customers talk me into installing smaller heaters to save some money. Both regretted it, I hated the complaints as I had told them that they wouldn't be happy, and never again installed a smaller heater at a customer's request.

Check the price of a heater online. That is also about what an installer would pay for one at a distributer. Then he has to make a profit or go out of business. That price, $4500.00, will get you a small heater. Get the largest your gas line will supply. Once they are installed, there is no trade in for a better model.
Thank you for your reply.
I meant the leaking salt water had eaten away at the manifold bolts.
Times are tough especially with kids in college and I have already spent over $2k this summer on pool equipment for a pool I never use. (We did when kids were small).
I may just put a bypass pipe from the filter unit to the SWG for now. That will give me time to tear into the heater on my own time and decide which course to take.

Repair guy said lack of use of the heater can also hasten the problem with the heater also.
Is that true?
Hard to say what that would cause. Its good to fire a heater for a few minutes, at least monthly to keep condensation out of the working parts, especially the motor that runs the fan in your case. It also discourages "critters" from nesting, leaving their calling cards, eating wiring, and allows you to know if it will work when you want it to.
Bypassing all water is not a good idea as the water that is left in the heater when it is shut off will evaporate and leave deposits inside the heat exchanger.

Cut the plumbing in and out of the heater and hook the two pipes together if the heater is leaking. Be sure to turn off the gas supply as well.