Newbie...What to do first?

Marisa76

In The Industry
Jul 24, 2024
Albany, NY
Hi All! I am new to TFP and we had our 24' round Radiant installed just about two weeks ago. Husband and I are first time pool owners. We filled the pool using our well water which is high in iron. We did not run the fill water thru our whole house filtering system. I've since done a lot of reading on this forum about filling pools with well water and we will be adding filters to our garden hose. Pool has been filled for about a week now and our salt chlorine generator filter should be installed today as we were waiting on electric (also still waiting to backfill once electric inspected). While filling the pool, husband added the Clorox shock xtraBLUE+ 6 in 1 formula to it. The pool is currently green and we are unable to see the bottom. See attached pic. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here, but I'm guessing it is now green because the chemicals oxidized with the iron in our water. Hoping for some advice on what to do first to get it swimmable.
Do I start with SLAM first? I was thinking of adding polyfill to the skimmer basket to start to filter out the iron and at some point adding sequestriant. We don't have a testing kit yet, I'm not sure if the pool vendor will provide one today when they set up the filter, but I will plan to buy one of the ones recommended here.
Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Pool 7-25-24.jpg
    Pool 7-25-24.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 1
I would move right to using a Polyfill bucket as I had to do two weeks ago after filling from a iron rich well. See my post:
New Pool in Florida (Well Water)
The bucket will be faster, for sure. As to testing, pick up the recommended one from this group and get to testing. @JessBlount617 and @PoolStored were extremely helpful. Listen to any advice they give.

Also, I tried the filter on the garden hose (two of them!), it may have helped with sediment, but they did nothing for the iron. It most likely has to processed after filling.

Thank you @Gambit80! I read thru your post and it was helpful. Since the pool is already full, I would do the bucket method by hooking a hose up to the return nozzle and running it thru the bucket back into the pool correct? What is the best method to hooking a flexible hose up to the return?

Howdy howdy! @Gambit80 is on the right path - you need to bucket and SLAM at the same time.

@Marisa76 load up your signature with all the details - pool type, size, filtration details, testing details... anything you can that helps us.

Also - get yourself a good test kit - critical for a SLAM
Test Kits Compared

I'll send some pics of my bucket rig when I get a chance. Working from my office today (normally working from home). Essentially you'll want to remove the return hose from the pool, run the return through the Polyfil bucket.

Can you send pics of your mechanicals/connections to the pool so we can give you some guidance.

Also - take out any accessories - ladders especially. No covers while in SLAM.

And I hate to tell ya - filtration from the hose won't work until the iron oxidizes into rust - so thats why it's an "after thought" to filter once the pool is filled.