Need a little help please

Jul 15, 2024
Naugatuck CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello , my CYA is 70 because I was floating tabs after I added stabilizer to get pool to 30 . I know now and use liquid chlorine at 12.5 % I know my target levels is 8-10 and no less than 5 for free chlorine now but since I’m running higher chlorine Ppm it’s harder to know where my PH is cause it reads high . I use a Taylor test kit and yesterday my PH was perfect 7.4 and I added chlorine to get FC over 5 . I got home from work today and FC is 6.8 but my ph is showing almost 8 now . Do I drop the PH or is it showing high because my fc levels are high . Thanks for the help .

Welcome to TFP!!!

Chlorine has a neutral effect on pH. Lower your pH with muriatic acid.

For the FC test, use a 10mL sample, each drop is .5. Plenty accurate.

How are you testing your water?

What is your current TA and what is the TA of the water you use to replace water in the pool?

Welcome to TFP!

The pH tests found in the k-2006 and TF-100 only become unreliable above 10 ppm, and even then it's somewhat of a gradual effect as the FC rises. If your FC was 6.8 then it should not be affecting the pH test at all.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Chlorine has a neutral effect on pH. Lower your pH with muriatic acid.

For the FC test, use a 10mL sample, each drop is .5. Plenty accurate.

How are you testing your water?

What is your current TA and what is the TA of the water you use to replace water in the pool?
I’m using a Taylor k-2006 to test and my TA was 90 . I did lower my PH down to 7.4 today . Since my cya is high at 70 does it affect what my TA should be ?

You can bring your pH down to 7.6 with muriatic acid. Your TA will drop a little too. Don’t let your TA go below 50. If it does, raise with baking soda.

I’m using a Taylor k-2006 to test and my TA was 90 . I did lower my PH down to 7.4 today . Since my cya is high at 70 does it affect what my TA should be ?
No, CYA and TA are two different things.

Manage your pH and ignore TA (test for it, but don't "treat" it). Follow this:
  1. TA > 80 ==> When pH gets to 8.0, lower your pH to 7.6. pH will rise. When pH gets to 8.0, lower to 7.6 again. Over time, TA will come down.
  2. TA is between 60 and 80. ==> DON'T lower pH to 7.6. It will be fairly stable between 7.8 and 8.0 pH 7.8-8.0 is just fine.

Welcome to TFP!

The pH tests found in the k-2006 and TF-100 only become unreliable above 10 ppm, and even then it's somewhat of a gradual effect as the FC rises. If your FC was 6.8 then it should not be affecting the pH test at all.
Ok thanks for the reply , I lowered it down to 7.4 but according to pool math 7.8 is ok . It’s good to know that the test becomes unreliable above 10 ppm fc . Next season I plan to get cya down to 30-40 so I don’t have to use so much chlorine .

Next season I plan to get cya down to 30-40 so I don’t have to use so much chlorine .
CYA reduces the FC demand (how much you need). Lower CYA does not reduce chlorine usage, higher CYA reduces chlorine usage. Higher CYA requires a higher LEVEL of FC, not how much it uses.

For a liquid chlorine pool, CYA of 30-60 is great. You will find the amount of chlorine you need to add will be lower with a CYA of 60.

No, CYA and TA are two different things.

Manage your pH and ignore TA (test for it, but don't "treat" it). Follow this:
  1. TA > 80 ==> When pH gets to 8.0, lower your pH to 7.6. pH will rise. When pH gets to 8.0, lower to 7.6 again. Over time, TA will come down.
  2. TA is between 60 and 80. ==> DON'T lower pH to 7.6. It will be fairly stable between 7.8 and 8.0 pH 7.8-8.0 is just fine.
Ok thanks for the quick reply . I thought I read somewhere to subtract a third of what cya is from TA . Thanks for the great info , I will do this .

CYA reduces the FC demand (how much you need). Lower CYA does not reduce chlorine usage, higher CYA reduces chlorine usage. Higher CYA requires a higher LEVEL of FC, not how much it uses.

For a liquid chlorine pool, CYA of 30-60 is great. You will find the amount of chlorine you need to add will be lower with a CYA of 60.
Ok I didn’t realize that , I’ll get it 30-60 . So my current 70 is not so bad then . I’m learning .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok thanks for the quick reply . I thought I read somewhere to subtract a third of what cya is from TA . Thanks for the great info , I will do this .
Yeah, that is old school TA adjustment. Not necessary. Are you using pool math? Link-->PoolMath
Ok I didn’t realize that , I’ll get it 30-60 . So my current 70 is not so bad then . I’m learning .
If your CYA is 70, leave it. BUT, you need to maintain your FC for CYA of 70. Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Yeah, that is old school TA adjustment. Not necessary. Are you using pool math? Link-->PoolMath

If your CYA is 70, leave it. BUT, you need to maintain your FC for CYA of 70. Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels
Yes I am now using pool math from this app . Going to target 8-10 fc and not let it get below 5ppm with current 70 cya level . I’ll continue to do what you said with PH and leave TA alone but still check it . I’m glad I found this info and this app because where is so much bad info out there .

• Love
Reactions: PoolStored
Yes I am now using pool math from this app . Going to target 8-10 fc and not let it get below 5ppm with current 70 cya level . I’ll continue to do what you said with PH and leave TA alone but still check it . I’m glad I found this info and this app because where is so much bad info out there .
One last question , when I test my cya it’s hard to tell with my eyes or feel like they’re playing tricks because I swear I can’t see the black dot but then if I look hard enough I can see the slightest outline of it if I try hard enough . Any tips to make sure I am at what I think I am ?

Mix the solution. Stand OUTDOORS, sun to your back. Fill to the first line, hold the the vial at the top with your index finger and thumb, at your waist. GLANCE at the vial, down the tube. If the dot is obscured, then take the number at the line and add 10. That is your CYA level. If not obscured, fill to the next line. Repeat the process, by filling the vial to the next line until the dot is obscured. When it is obscured (see pic below), take the number next to the line and add 10. That is your CYA level.

1721455245501.png

Reactions: hexabc
Mix the solution. Stand OUTDOORS, sun to your back. Fill to the first line, hold the the vial at the top with your index finger and thumb, at your waist. GLANCE at the vial, down the tube. If the dot is obscured, then take the number at the line and add 10. That is your CYA level. If not obscured, fill to the next line. Repeat the process, by filling the vial to the next line until the dot is obscured. When it is obscured (see pic below), take the number next to the line and add 10. That is your CYA level.

View attachment 597682
Easy enough , so when the black dot is completely gone take that number and add 10 . So if the dot is gone at 70 my cya would be 60 ? Or by adding do you mean it would be 80 ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.