Leaking Ozone/UV-C Disinfecting System - Replace or bypass?

May 25, 2017
Southern NJ
I have an Artesian Grand Cayman spa that is about three years old. Yesterday I noticed it was leaking from the "DEL AOP Spa Aquanova 2 Ozone/UV-C Disinfecting System." Took that apart and found that the leak was coming from the DEL Ozone Ozonator (little black box in the upper left hand corner of system). Since I didn't have a replacement part -- and the leak was right above my control box where the power comes in -- I simply plugged the supply line to the ozonator, which stopped the leak but effectively disabled the system.

From what I've read on TFP, these ozone/UV-C disinfecting systems don't do much for pools. Does the same go for spas? Wondering if I should repair/replace or just leave disabled. I can get a replacement DEL Ozone Ozonator for $100 (or the entire system for $500), which is pretty cheap, but I'd prefer not to spend $100 + an hour of my time every three years or so on a gimmick that won't have any impact on my enjoyment of the spa.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Since the spa is covered 99+% of the time, a UV and/or ozone system is not a bad thing to have.

@RDspaguy is a good resource for spa repair.

Thanks for the response. After looking up the schematics, water shouldn't ever reach the ozonator, which means the check valve must've gone bad. Of course, water getting in the ozonator probably ruined it, so would need to replace it regardless, but at least I know to replace the check valve first ...

How often do you use the tub?
If its quite frequently you may benefit from the ozone/uv action.
If its say a weekend only thing with alot of standby time you may find that you’re better off without it.
When ozone/uv runs out of things to oxidize it goes after your fc.
Many don’t have either & are just fine. Its not detrimental to omit it.
I am curious, is this not still under warranty? If it is leave the work to the manufacturer contacted service provider.

How often do you use the tub?
If its quite frequently you may benefit from the ozone/uv action.
If its say a weekend only thing with alot of standby time you may find that you’re better off without it.
When ozone/uv runs out of things to oxidize it goes after your fc.
Many don’t have either & are just fine. Its not detrimental to omit it.
I am curious, is this not still under warranty? If it is leave the work to the manufacturer contacted service provider.
Typically used just on weekends, an hour or two Fri-Sun evenings. After initially getting the ph/cya/hardness set, chlorine is the only chemical we add on a regular basis.

Not under warranty -- that was the first thing I checked ... 5-yr warranty on electronics, but ozonator is specifically excluded (of course), only one year coverage on that.

• Sad
Reactions: Mdragger88
Typically used just on weekends, an hour or two Fri-Sun evenings. After initially getting the ph/cya/hardness set, chlorine is the only chemical we add on a regular basis.
Personally I’d just bypass the system in that case if you’re able.

Not under warranty -- that was the first thing I checked ... 5-yr warranty on electronics, but ozonator is specifically excluded (of course), only one year coverage on that.
Ozonators typically don't last that long, that's why they have a separate warranty.
I am a fan of both ozone and uv, but neither is necessary. You'll just have to shock more frequently without them, and perhaps add chlorine more often (not sure of your routine now).

Reactions: Mdragger88