Hot tub long-term closing / shut down (winterizing)

ch3cooh

Nov 28, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
After years of using the hot tub occasionally, we have made the decision to drain and close it indefinitely, possibly to be started up again sometime in the future. I have gone through old posts on the forum regarding how to prepare a hot tub for being empty long-term (and over cold winters), but I didn't find a case where anyone drained their hot tub and did not start it back up again after a few months.

Does anybody have experience with closing down a hot tub and what steps would be required to ensure it can be started up again at some point, without causing damage to the equipment? (Ex. does antifreeze need to be run through the pipes, do bleed valves need to be left open, etc.).

Thank you for your assistance,
Matteo

The biggest issue will be blowing all the water out of the plumbing. Any stagnant water left behind is going to create a warm & moist environment for bacteria to grow in and cause corrosion. Considering how most hot tub plumbing looks like it was installed by a teenager hopped up on Adderall and No-Doze, I’m not sure there any easy way of getting all the water out. I’d be interested to hear what @RDspaguy has to say …

Thank you for the replies. It is an above-ground spa and has an acrylic shell (I believe). It is branded as La-Z-Boy but is actually a Hydropool spa.

Yes, the plumbing is messy and runs in every direction.

I’ve attached some pictures.

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 13
Ok. Even pros won't guarantee a winterization on these. Not only is it tough to get the water out but it's even tougher to keep it out. I'd recommend storage indoors standing on its side.
Disconnect pumps, blow/vac the jets, then stand equipment side down.
You're still likely to have leaks at the jet gaskets and perhaps some equipment issues when you start up.

Thank you RDspaguy. I’ll look into indoor storage but I’m not sure I’ll have the space. I suppose another alternative might be to keep the heaters set low and monitor water chemistry periodically. Is this method worth considering or is it still better to drain and store?

Thank you.

If you really think you might not use it for a few years, then why not sell it 🤷‍♂️. Sure, you won’t get as much as you’d like for it but perhaps someday you might want to get back into using in a hot tub again. At that point you can find something newer which will be a lot less of a headache to setup than trying to resurrect an old tub that’s been sitting in storage for years.

Reactions: RDspaguy
After years of using the hot tub occasionally, we have made the decision to drain and close it indefinitely, possibly to be started up again sometime in the future. I have gone through old posts on the forum regarding how to prepare a hot tub for being empty long-term (and over cold winters), but I didn't find a case where anyone drained their hot tub and did not start it back up again after a few months.

Does anybody have experience with closing down a hot tub and what steps would be required to ensure it can be started up again at some point, without causing damage to the equipment? (Ex. does antifreeze need to be run through the pipes, do bleed valves need to be left open, etc.).

Thank you for your assistance,
Matteo
Hey Matteo,
I've had some experience with shutting down a hot tub for extended periods, especially over the winter. The key is to ensure everything is properly winterized to avoid any damage from freezing temperatures.
Here are the steps I recommend:
Complete Drainage: Make sure you drain all the water from the hot tub. Don't forget about the pipes and pumps—these need to be completely empty.
Flush the System: It's a good idea to flush the system to remove any remaining chemicals and contaminants. You can use special flushing agents available at hot tub supply stores.
Antifreeze: Yes, running antifreeze through the system is crucial, especially if you're leaving the hot tub out over the winter. Use a non-toxic, RV/marine-grade antifreeze that's safe for water systems and environmentally friendly.
Open Drain Valves: Open all drain valves and let any residual water escape. It’s also a good idea to leave the valves open so any leftover water can evaporate.
Disconnect Power: Make sure the hot tub is disconnected from the power source to avoid any accidental activation of the system.
Cover the Hot Tub: Finally, secure the hot tub with a proper cover to protect it from debris and moisture. If possible, use an additional layer of insulation to prevent cold air from getting in.
I hope these steps help you prepare your hot tub for long-term shutdown. If anyone else has more tips or experiences, I'd love to hear them!

Best, Brad :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure you drain all the water from the hot tub. Don't forget about the pipes and pumps—these need to be completely empty.
🤣 that's easy to say.

You can use special flushing agents available at hot tub supply stores.
Flushing agents? Please, do tell...

Yes, running antifreeze through the system is crucial,
🤣...🤣😂...🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂
And now we know you've never winterized a portable spa.

If anyone else has more tips or experiences, I'd love to hear them!
My tip for you is to seek advice not give it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.