Help me figure out which replacement pump for Century 7-193989-05

dndrich

Silver Supporter
Apr 19, 2015
Sebastopol, CA
Pool Pals:

My pump is a 230 volt 2 speed AO Smith Century model as listed above. For the life of me I cannot figure out what pump I would purchase to replace it. The badge on the side gives lots of information, but not the HP. It is a square flange pump. I have included the photo here. The pump has given great service, and I bet it is 14 year old or so. The low speed works, but the high speed shuts off after like 10 seconds. I don’t really know how to trouble shoot this pump, and figure the only things it can be are the capacitor and the high speed windings. I suspect it is not the capacitor since it does start, but shuts off after 10-15 seconds. But perhaps the hive mind can chime in here. In any event, if I had the right pump to replace it myself, it does not look too hard to do, so I might as well replace it. I cannot find this exact model. I suspect it has been replaced years ago with newer models with new numbers. So, if I knew what to buy I could likely do it myself. Thoughts?

IMG_1370.jpeg

Pool Pals:

My pump is a 230 volt 2 speed AO Smith Century model as listed above. For the life of me I cannot figure out what pump I would purchase to replace it. The badge on the side gives lots of information, but not the HP. It is a square flange pump. I have included the photo here. The pump has given great service, and I bet it is 14 year old or so. The low speed works, but the high speed shuts off after like 10 seconds. I don’t really know how to trouble shoot this pump, and figure the only things it can be are the capacitor and the high speed windings. I suspect it is not the capacitor since it does start, but shuts off after 10-15 seconds. But perhaps the hive mind can chime in here. In any event, if I had the right pump to replace it myself, it does not look too hard to do, so I might as well replace it. I cannot find this exact model. I suspect it has been replaced years ago with newer models with new numbers. So, if I knew what to buy I could likely do it myself. Thoughts?

View attachment 594022

That is the one! Now the plot thickens because most will not ship to California since it is not Title 20 compliant here. I did some research, came up with that model, and can source it locally despite that. So I bought it and they are shipping it. Thanks for the quick response! I prefer the 2 speed pump over a variable, because if I go with a variable I will have to deal with some complicated stuff regarding my timer etc. So just replacing it with the same motor makes quite a bit of sense. That is what I am going to do! Thanks for the help.

OK, I tried them, and they will not ship to California as not title 20 compliant. So, amazingly, I found a small company out of state willing to ship. So I ordered it today. We shall see. I would prefer to go this route rather than modify my current timer etc. with a variable speed pump.

OK, I tried them, and they will not ship to California as not title 20 compliant. So, amazingly, I found a small company out of state willing to ship. So I ordered it today. We shall see. I would prefer to go this route rather than modify my current timer etc. with a variable speed pump.
If you can't get that motor, a Nidec Neptune NPTQ 165 will work and has a built-in time clock. An EVQ 165 (Century) will work with your existing time clock.

OK, so I was able to get the Century B2982 shipped to California! So I replaced it. All is well except I had to reuse the ceramic seals from the old motor because the replacement seals I bought were too small. So all is working, but even on low speed the pump makes more noise than the old one. The old one was nearly silent on low. Could it be the old seals and impeller?

You need to put the correct seal into that pump ASAP. Re-using a used seal is a recipe for a damaged motor. You never showed or said which brand and model pump you have (it is not a Century pump, they only make motors), so helping you get the correct seal is impossible.

You need to put the correct seal into that pump ASAP. Re-using a used seal is a recipe for a damaged motor. You never showed or said which brand and model pump you have (it is not a Century pump, they only make motors), so helping you get the correct seal is impossible.
I sort of dealt with this on another thread. It is a Jandy Stealth older version. The current seals are working just fine, and fit correctly to the Century motor and Jandy Stealth. But the pump makes just a bit more noise than the old one, so I figured I would start with the seals. I now have the correct seals on order. Currently the pump is working perfectly with no leaks or other issues, runs cool. But at low speed it is just a bit louder than I want, so I figured I would replace the seals as a long shot. After that, I will try some other quieting methods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, and I should also say that I had a lack of understanding as to how to describe the equipment. Turns out the wet side is the pump! That is the Jandy Stealth I have. So yeah, I replaced the motor.

Oh, and I should also say that I had a lack of understanding as to how to describe the equipment. Turns out the wet side is the pump! That is the Jandy Stealth I have. So yeah, I replaced the motor.
Though I have heard the seals blamed for a noisy pump for over 30 years, I have never heard a noisy seal. They can squeak if there is no water in the pump, though they usually just burn up, but other than that seals make no noise to speak of.
New motors are more noise prone than older ones for some reason, probably because of the lower-quality metals used. There is a big difference in the motors I installed 30+ years ago and the ones available today. Even manufacturer's reps will tell you candidly that motors just aren't as good as they were when made in this country.

Though I have heard the seals blamed for a noisy pump for over 30 years, I have never heard a noisy seal. They can squeak if there is no water in the pump, though they usually just burn up, but other than that seals make no noise to speak of.
New motors are more noise prone than older ones for some reason, probably because of the lower-quality metals used. There is a big difference in the motors I installed 30+ years ago and the ones available today. Even manufacturer's reps will tell you candidly that motors just aren't as good as they were when made in this country.
Interesting! OK, well, I may not spend too much effort chasing this down. I will likely replace the seals anyway, and then consider some baffling or padding. Hmm.

Interesting! OK, well, I may not spend too much effort chasing this down. I will likely replace the seals anyway, and then consider some baffling or padding. Hmm.
If you do padding, or some such way to reduce the noise, be absolutely sure that you leave the vent openings in the front and back of the motor completely clear or that motor will burn up.
Yes to the the seal. As hard to get, and expensive, new motors are, even at the price of a Jandy seal kit it is good insurance. In the field, we NEVER use an old seal or will likely be replacing a motor for free in short order.

If you do padding, or some such way to reduce the noise, be absolutely sure that you leave the vent openings in the front and back of the motor completely clear or that motor will burn up.
Yes to the the seal. As hard to get, and expensive, new motors are, even at the price of a Jandy seal kit it is good insurance. In the field, we NEVER use an old seal or will likely be replacing a motor for free in short order.
Yeah no doubt about the seal. I only used it because it is what I had. Working well, but not appropriate for a long term solution for sure. If I pad I am planning on something to absorb sound under the pump mount.