Endless pool E550 built in heater or Zodiac Z550iQ heat pump

philippawithapool

Aug 12, 2024
london, united kingdom
Im new to this forum but a friend has highly recommended it. I was wondering if any one could advise which would be the most efficient and economic form of heating for my Endless Pool E550 swim spa? Use the built in electric heater or by pass it and use our Zodiac Z550iQ which we purchased 2 years ago for our previous swim spa which we have replaced for the new E550 swim spa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im new to this forum but a friend has highly recommended it. I was wondering if any one could advise which would be the most efficient and economic form of heating for my Endless Pool E550 swim spa? Use the built in electric heater or by pass it and use our Zodiac Z550iQ which we purchased 2 years ago for our previous swim spa which we have replaced for the new E550 swim spa. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Most efficient of the two is always the heat pump. You could use both in a parallel plumbing arrangement so that the resistance heater is available if the heat pump has no "heat" it can get from the atmosphere.

While it is speaking of home-heating, the principle applies:

"Electric resistance heating is 100% energy efficient in the sense that all the incoming electric energy is converted to heat. However, most electricity is produced from coal, gas, or oil generators that convert only about 30% of the fuel's energy into electricity. Because of electricity generation and transmission losses, electric heat is often more expensive than heat produced in homes or businesses that use combustion appliances.

If electricity is the only choice, heat pumps are preferable in most climates, as they easily cut electricity use by 50% when compared with electric resistance heating. There may be some exceptions, such as in climates with so few heating days that the cost of heating with electric resistance is not significant."