Pool area landscape lighting

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
I am looking for recommendations on pool area LED landscape lights. For the pool deck and for landscaping around cave/slide. 12V.

1) Cave/slide landscaping: I would like to use Pentair color landscape lights (all Pentair system, but just can't bring myself to spend $150/light... when I need 7 or 8 lights. I'd like color lights that can be controlled by Intellitouch, but I think my only choice for that is the Pentair light... so, as an alternative, I'd like a good brand of white only lighting for up light on plants.

2) Pool deck: We have beds around the deck perimeter. I'd like to use fixtures that can mount in the beds and cast light onto the pool deck... brighter and more spread than a pathway light.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I don't mind spending for quality... but, reasonable.

Get an Intermatic low voltage transformer (12VAC) and you can power it directly from one of the EasyTouch relays. You can add a photocell to the transformer for a cheap dusk-till-dawn option. With that setup, you can power any set of LED landscape lights from the cheapest options at Home Depot all the way up to the most expensive oil-rubbed brass fixtures. All you need to do is run the appropriate amount of 12 gauge landscape wiring (probably the hardest part as it require digging/trenching).

I did just as Matt described...in fact his recommendation seems eerily familiar. I have an Intermatic PX300 wired to my EasyTouch and also use a photocell. The ET is on a schedule for landscape lighting and turns on the photocell which turns the lights on at dusk. The ET turns them off when the schedule reaches its end.

I used typical landscape lighting and swapped the bulbs out for 5W LEDs. I had color LED lights for a little while but they just didn't give off enough light and the colors were nearly impossible to sync.

I have about 40 landscape lights and 12 more on the way.

I did just as Matt described...in fact his recommendation seems eerily familiar....

Geez, the one time I decide to not go searching through old threads for a link and I get busted!! Yep, the idea was one Brian gave me last autumn.

We're going to need a TFP staff librarian if I have to add attributions to every post....

I did just as Matt described...in fact his recommendation seems eerily familiar. I have an Intermatic PX300 wired to my EasyTouch and also use a photocell. The ET is on a schedule for landscape lighting and turns on the photocell which turns the lights on at dusk. The ET turns them off when the schedule reaches its end.

I used typical landscape lighting and swapped the bulbs out for 5W LEDs. I had color LED lights for a little while but they just didn't give off enough light and the colors were nearly impossible to sync.

I have about 40 landscape lights and 12 more on the way.

Yours looks like a "mature" pool (mine is just a newborn) but congrats man! That looks really cool. :bowdown:

Why wouldn't any landscape low voltage transformer work. Plug it directly into your gfci and your good to go. Pool landscape lights and landscape lights are the same. You can get a 300 watt transformer and photo cell for the same price of the px300. If you cut the plug off you should be able to wire it directly to the automation panel

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies... I already use 3 PX100's for my pool lights and have a PX300 installed already for my landscape lights... tied to my Intellitouch. I am just trying to find the right fixtures for the two applications I listed... I'd like something middle of the road... good quality but not break the bank expensive. Definitely LED. The Pool deck lights need to be able to light from the perimeter and throw light at least 10' onto deck. Would appreciate any recommendations on fixtures.

Hinkley, Sollos, Kichler, Hadco are all decent brands. I'm in AZ and up in Scottsdale there's a decent distributor that sells lots of different brands.

Depending on where you're located, you might see if you can find a local distributor of landscape lighting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why wouldn't any landscape low voltage transformer work. Plug it directly into your gfci and your good to go. Pool landscape lights and landscape lights are the same. You can get a 300 watt transformer and photo cell for the same price of the px300. If you cut the plug off you should be able to wire it directly to the automation panel

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Any transformer will work for low voltage outdoor lights around the pool, it just will not meet the requirements of the electrical code, and won't be listed for use in that application.

Random question that might need another thread, but some smart dudes are in here so I will ask. Thread hijack not intended. I have a big ol' Malibu or similar transformer plugged into GFCI with 30-40 lights running off of it.

Can I switch just the bulbs to LED and use the same transformer? Anything going to melt or will I just have a monster transformer working at a fraction of what it used to? Does that even work?

Thanks,
J.

Random question that might need another thread, but some smart dudes are in here so I will ask. Thread hijack not intended. I have a big ol' Malibu or similar transformer plugged into GFCI with 30-40 lights running off of it.

Can I switch just the bulbs to LED and use the same transformer? Anything going to melt or will I just have a monster transformer working at a fraction of what it used to? Does that even work?

Thanks,
J.

As long as the bulbs fit and are 12VAC lights, they'll work just fine.

Man has something changed? Two years ago I read on here that lights must be at least 10 ft. from the water. I have all mine at least 10 ft. from the water and they are all LED fixtures. They would look better closer to the pool for sure. Oh never mind, i'm not digging up that cable again! savagesix, you can indeed switch the bulbs as long as they are 12 volt bulbs and they fit the fixture. No will not melt anything because the LED's will draw less current than the old bulbs(about 1/4 the power). I did this with my pathway lights on the walkway to the pool.

Yes jojoman something has changed. The 2014 National Electrical code which has now been wildly adopted changed the rules and now permits low voltage lighting within five feet of a pool so long as it is connected to a pool rated transformer.

Call your local building inspector to see if your local jurisdiction has adopted the 2014 version of the NEC. If your jurisdiction is not using the 2014 version then any lighting (or electrical except in pool listed lights) is prohibited within five feet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.